Friday, July 26, 2019

The Joys of a Writing Retreat by Margaret Simon



Summer is here!  Just what I’ve been waiting for, long expanses of free time to write. But when it comes to writing, sometimes I’d rather dig in the flower bed or clean out a closet than sit down to a blank page.

So I prescribed myself a writing retreat. This could work to jump start my summer writing.  I signed up for a writing workshop at an arts center about 30 miles away.  Far enough away that I had to commit.  What made it even better, I reserved Jen’s rental space at her nearby farm, so I wouldn’t have to drive home at night.

Writing can be like exercise.  It’s easier to do in a group.  I invited my writing group to come to the farm studio to spend the day writing.  They showed up with food and journals and enthusiasm for quiet writing time.

Throughout the school year, I look at invitations to writers’ retreats, but they are usually expensive, far away, and/or require an application with a writing sample to get in.  I did apply to one in Maine but didn’t get selected.  Rather than beat myself up with disappointment, I took the initiative to create my own. Jen invited us to return any time we want, so we’ve booked a day in July. 

I highly recommend creating your own writing retreat. Three key ingredients are
1. an inspiring and comfortable place
2. food and drink for sustenance
3. commitment to doing the writing.
For me, scheduling a writing retreat made me commit to the time.  Sharing it with writing friends was a bonus. 

Dianne, one of my writing group partners, wrote this poem expressing how we all felt about time away to notice and note:

Lawless Road

I’ve only been to this place
Down Lawless Road
Once or twice
I should come here often

This place
where the words flow
From deep within
A habitat of mind

This place
Where the tiny frogs
Let loose and croak
Bold and brave

Dianne Dempsey-Legnon, 2019


3 comments:

  1. I love how you "prescribed" yourself a writing retreat and then, made it happen! Time away to "notice and note" is vital, and being able to do it with a supportive group of writers sounds heavenly. Thanks for sharing the beautiful poem as well. Here's to summer writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!! I have always wanted to attend a writing retreat and am still in search of a group of fellow writers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing retreats are one of my favorite ways to spend my time. Love that you made your own! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.