Monday, July 29, 2019

Growing As A Writer by Donnetta Norris


This summer is looking significantly different than I had planned. As the school year was coming to an end, I had been looking forward to vigorously reading as many of the books on my book list as possible. I envisioned myself laid up on my couch, seated on my patio, and/or relaxing by the pool with a book in my hand.

Never did I think about writing or being a writer. Mostly because I don’t consider myself a good writer. I have gone so far as to tell others that teaching writing is my greatest area of weakness.

Despite my clear understanding that to be good at something, you have to practice, it never dawned on me to take the time to write anything. How many times had I told my students, “In order to get better at reading, you have to read.” I know the same holds true for most things in life. So, why had I not listened to my own advice? I’m not sure I have the answer to that question.

Nevertheless, here I am finally taking my own advice, and simply writing something this summer. I am writing about summer writing. I am writing reflections about the successes and failures of the 2018-2019 school year. I am writing my thoughts and takeaways from the PD (professional development) books I am currently reading...none from my book list as of yet.

How am I hoping to grow as a writer this summer? I am hoping to gain insight into what writing and the writing process can look and feel like. I am hoping that as I learn and grow, I can help my students write well next year.  I hope I learn the best ways to allow my students to write authentically and find their voices. I hope that my growth as a writer this summer turns into a love for writing that I can pass along to my students.

Mostly, I hope to be a writer from whom my students can learn.



Donnetta Norris is a 2nd grade teacher in Arlington, TX. She is a teacher-writer and a teacher of writing. You can follow her on Twitter at @NorrisDonnetta 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.