Friday, March 23, 2018

The Teachers Who Inspired My Passion for Writing by Tynea Lewis


My favorite and most memorable years during elementary school are years that I have vivid memories writing.

Honestly, I never thought about that until now. Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but maybe it’s much more than that.

I was inspired to write because that flame inside of me was fanned before I even knew the flame existed.

In second grade, one of my friends and I would create a variety of stories. We authored and illustrated them together, and then our teacher bound them (you know, that black spiral binding found in the primary grades).

In fifth grade, I wrote a short story, “The Smallest of Lives,” probably loosely inspired by Honey I Shrunk the Kids. That was the first year I remember typing up writing pieces on computers. Wow, does that make me feel old. My story was so long that my teacher offered to take it home and type it on her computer.

In sixth grade, we wrote historical fiction stories. As the deadline approached, my teacher saw that I had a lot left to complete. I was furiously trying to finish, but she graciously extended the deadline because she didn’t want me to rush. By the end, a one subject notebook had been filled with a story I created about a girl during the Civil War.

In each of those years, I had teachers who encouraged my writing. What they did or the comments they made left a lasting impact. My writing had value. I had value. That’s what their actions told me. They might not even know the impact they had. They were just being encouraging teachers.

We all need someone to encourage us.

We need people who believe in us.

As a teacher, I remember being very intentional about encouraging sparks of writing I saw within my students. Who knows, maybe one of them will touch the world with their words? I know I won’t be the only teacher to have impacted them, but maybe one day they’ll look back on their year with me and smile when they think of how I gave them opportunities to write.

In the end, that’s what we need.

We need to give ourselves opportunities to write. My writing from elementary school wasn’t of publishable quality, but it still mattered because every piece of writing helps us discover who we are and what matters to us.

It’s a chance to unearth something hidden inside our hearts, and that is magical.


Tynea Lewis is a former Title I teacher from Pennsylvania. She was named a 30 Under 30 honoree by the International Literacy Association in 2016 for her work with LitPick Student Book Reviews, an online reading and writing program. When she’s not busy overseeing the program, she loves to spend time with her husband and young daughters, write for a variety of audiences, and escape to the quietness of the mountains. You can connect with her on Twitter and Instagram at @TyneaLewis or on her blog at tynealewis.com. 

6 comments:

  1. I had the same teacher for three years -- 3rd, 4th & 5th grades. She was a writer herself and showered us with all kinds of writing inspiration. I wonder how my (writing) life would have been different if hadn't had her as my teacher, coach, and cheerleader for so long during my formative years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how you don't give much thought to those circumstances in the moment, but you can clearly see how they have impacted you over time. I'm glad you had that teacher for three years! She equipped you so that you can equip others.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story! As a former elementary school teacher (and current middle school teacher), I hear the joy in your voice as you type these words. This is powerful! The line that will stay with me is, "It’s a chance to unearth something hidden inside our hearts, and that is magical." Magical indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words! I hope my love and enthusiasm for writing can be shared with others. I want others to experience that same magical spark.

      Delete
  3. That was a lot of writing at such a young age. I didn't start writing until my teen years then left it behind in college and early married life. I love this statement, "every piece of writing helps us discover who we are and what matters to us." I need to remember this mantra for myself and for my students. Every piece of writing matters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember a time without writing. My current season of life as a mom of young children is so busy that I don't get to write as much, and I feel the effects of that deficit. Many times when I'm cranky it's because I haven't written in a couple days, so I make sure to carve out a little time. When I look back on past pieces, I can clearly see who I was during that season of life. It sheds light on areas that were once dark, and I have a clearer understanding of myself.

      Delete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.