Monday, May 28, 2018

I've Noticed by Jennifer Haylett


I pulled my pocket mirror from my bag, checked my hair, checked my teeth, and talked out loud during this ‘reflection’ session. Then, I heard the giggles, and, “What are you doing Ms. Haylett?” So, I explained. I was checking my reflection. Checking for what looked good and checking for what I needed to fix. “What?” was the next question. I went on to explain how writers notice what they do well, and also notice what they can do better in the next piece. They reflect, like when they check their reflection in the mirror. At the conclusion of the lesson, and as these young writers began to reflect, I began to reflect on what I’ve noticed during our Writer’s Workshop this year. Three thoughts flooded my mind: growth, bravery, and love.

In these young writers, I’ve noticed scribbles turn to lines, lines turn to shapes, and shapes turn to pictures. I’ve noticed simple pictures turn to detailed pictures, letters turn to words, and words turn to sentences. I’ve noticed sentences evolve into books. I’ve noticed simple partner talk turn into helpful writing talk, and simple reflections turn to amazing discoveries about writing. I’ve noticed the seed I planted on day one, has grown into an amazing plant.

In these young writers, I’ve noticed bravery. I’ve noticed their ears eagerly listen to my teaching point, and their eyes intently stare at the writing I model daily. I’ve noticed their pens and pencils bravely make attempts at the strategy I so enthusiastically asked each one to try. I’ve noticed their willingness to take risks. I’ve noticed their amazing bravery.

In these young writers, I’ve noticed love. I’ve noticed smiles and happiness. I’ve noticed proud eyes and excited faces. I’ve noticed stories and lives and passions. I’ve noticed them! I’ve noticed the LOVE I have….for THEM!



Jennifer Haylett is  a Kindergarten teacher in South Florida. She has been teaching young readers and writers for thirteen years. She is passionate about developmentally appropriate curriculums, reading, writing, and kindness. She loves to camp, run, and hang out with her family. You can find her blog at https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thehappycamperus, and on Twitter at @jhaylett16.


2 comments:

  1. I love your post, Jennifer! It is soooo easy to look at writing (both our students and our own) and find what’s wrong instead of what’s right. This is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Jennifer! I love teaching writing too. The workshop setting is such a wonderful way to share yourself and your love of writing with your littles.

    PS - My blog listed in the URL below is so old. I don't teach 3rd grade anymore. But I just read some of my posts. Funny.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.