Friday, May 25, 2018

Notice What You Need to Feed Your Writing Life by Erin Vogler


I am a better everything: wife, dog mom, teacher, friend, colleague, reader; when I write.

This is something I know in the deepest parts of me.  I have also come to notice that I am a better writer when I regularly take time to care for myself.  For me, this means taking advantage of the beautiful hiking trails in my (finally) green and lush corner of the world. It means time on my yoga mat where breath and movement become one, and I allow all of the stressors that are part of life and teaching to scatter with each deep inhale and exhale. Often, it is the simple joy of grabbing a great book and heading out to my porch or gazebo and escaping into someone else’s world while I allow mine to fall away for an hour or two.

The end of the school year is upon us. This is a time when we get caught up in the rush of all the things we need to do, the places we need to be, the to do list never seems to end.  I notice that this is the time of year when I often feel so busy that I make myself believe I don’t have time for that hike, mat time, or to escape with a great book.

When I’m not taking care of myself, holding myself accountable for taking and savoring that down time, I don’t write often.  Sometimes not at all.  Looking back at old notebooks, I notice that many of them have a gap that begins somewhere around May 1st and ends once I’ve embarked on summer vacation in late June.  It is no coincidence that I am more stressed, less focused, and have a much more difficult time processing and dealing with new information during that two month stretch. I’m not practicing the things that help me do that well: self-care and writing.

I’ve challenged myself to do better this season. To notice the importance of finding joy, space, and peace, even for a few minutes each day. To notice how that time leads me to more focused and insightful writing, writing that makes me proud and that I am proud to share with others.  I am a better everything when I write, and I am a better writer when I take care of myself by taking time to breathe deeply and celebrate the things that feed my soul.

I challenge you to do the same.  You won’t be sorry.



Erin Vogler is in the final weeks (seven to be exact) of her 18th year of teaching at Keshequa Middle/High School in the Genesee Valley in Western New York. She has taught grades 7-12, and is currently reading and writing beside 8th and 10th graders. Erin is working on becoming a more consistent writer who shares her thoughts on teaching, reading, and writing at https://fosteringvoicesandchoices.wordpress.com/. You can also find her on Twitter @vogler3024 and Instagram @mrsvogler3024.



1 comment:

  1. This is such great advice. I've finished school and am only now allowing myself that time to take care of me. I will tuck away your words for next May when I need to remember to keep writing and doing the things that nourish me even when I'm busy and stressed. Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.