Thursday, June 13, 2019

Summer -- When the Writing is Free by Tracy Vogelgesang



Ahhh, summer vacation!  Those precious weeks when I celebrate certain freedoms, such as a less hectic schedule, juggling fewer tasks at one time, and possibly most importantly, going to the bathroom as needed! 

I also celebrate another freedom.  The freedom to write whenever, however, and whatever I want. 

As teachers, we write copious amounts during the school year.  Lesson plans, parent notes, report card comments...The list could go on and on.  I find it hard to squeeze in my own personal writing.  I try, but it often takes a back seat to all of the other writing I must do.

The first day of summer break, though, signals the movement of my personal writing to the front and center.  My main writing goals during the summer are simply to write for myself every day and to take advantage of opportunities to grow my writing.

I write in my journal.  My favorite summer writing space is outdoors in the backyard. 
I play with different genres of writing and/or draft ideas for blog posts. 
I read books and blogs about writing.
I discuss writing with my writerly friends. 
I seek opportunities to improve my writing craft, such as those opportunities offered by Teach Write.


The freedom to write and learn feeds my soul and restores my sense of peace. 

Ultimately, it also serves my students.  When I re-enter the classroom in August, I will have fresh ideas and understandings about writing to share with them. It’s a win-win.

What will you be doing with your writing during summer break?





Tracy Vogelgesang currently teaches a writing community of third, fourth, and fifth graders.  She has been teaching for 25 years and loves helping students discover their voices and realize their strengths and gifts. When Tracy isn’t teaching and writing, she spends her free time building memories with her husband, children, and grandchildren. She also reads, creates, and spends time outdoors. Tracy can be found on Twitter @Mrs_T_V and at https://everydaycounts.edublogs.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.