Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Noticings by Alexis Ennis




Noticing inspiration.
Stepping into the world of writers.
Finding writers. Asking. Connecting.
Watching the world.
Turning the world into something new.

Noticing motivation.
Excitement traveling from my chaotic brain
To my concentrated finger tips.
My heart racing
And my fingers sprinting to keep up.

Noticing goals.
What do I want?
When do I want it?
How will I get it?
How will I know I am there?

Noticing progress.
Feeling comfort.
Feeling confident.
Feeling accomplished.
Feeling ready.

Noticing anticipation.
Summer approaching.
A much-needed break
With more time to focus
And let it out.

Noticing distractions.
My mind is my enemy,
Bouncing around,
Thought upon thought,
Worry upon worry.

Noticing anxiety.
Chest is tight.
Heart fluttering.
Breathing strained.
Mind racing.

Noticing a cure.
Pencil in hand,
Paper taking the blunt
Of the feelings and emotions
Escaping my body.

Noticing an ease.
Shoulders relax.
Heartbeat slows.
Eyes close.
Palms dry.

Noticing clarity.
Mind is focused
I can breathe again,
I can think again,
New ideas develop.

Noticing growth.
My words pour from me.
Once held back,
Break the dam
And crash forth, unbound.

Noticing relationships.
Students beside me
Sharing ideas,
Asking for advice,
Building a community.

Noticing mindfulness.
Focused with a story,
Seeing an end game.
More than ideas,
It is complete.

Noticing enjoyment.
I smile.
I concentrate.
I create.
I share.

Noticing openness.
Trying new things.
Scratching old ideas.
Letting myself go.
Risks help me grow.

Noticing willingness.
Embrace the writing world.
Be a writer.
Take the name.
Find yourself.

Noticing stories.
Stories matter.
Voices need to be heard,
Even if just for you.
My story is important.

Noticing I am a writer.



Alexis Ennis is a sixth grade English Language Arts teacher. She is a voracious reader who is dabbling with the idea of being a writer. You can find her on Twitter @mrs_ennis_oms and Instagram @mrs_bookdragon. She also has a website that includes reviews for Middle Grade books at www.mrsbookdragon.com. 


2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. My favorite line is "Take the name." So many are afraid to do this. So, thank you for the encouragement for all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem...oh how I adore this poem!!! The repetition of the word "noticing" is powerful and the last line...YES! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.