Monday, May 20, 2019

Noticing Notebooks by Ona Feinberg



I stopped by the store for a new little notebook. Actually, I bought several little notebooks. I felt a little self conscious, dumping the pile of notebooks down at the register.

“Some are gifts…” I said, “but some are for me.” 

I kept explaining.  “I like to carry a little notebook around with me at school. I collect joy. Then I post a video each school day.”

“That’s lovely,” the shopkeeper told me.

“Thanks! I mean, if I don’t have a notebook, I try to use my phone, but that’s no good. It never makes sense when I look at it later. I prefer pen and paper.”

Then I looked around, noticing where I was: A stationary store. So, I sheepishly added, “I guess I don’t have to explain that to you…”


I notice I have a little notebook problem.
And not just a little notebook problem… but a little problem with notebooks.




A few weeks back, I saw this tweet that I think was meant for me:



And now, whenever I am at the store looking at notebooks I laugh. Then I buy a notebook or two, if they are my favorite kind of notebooks.

I used to only have new blank notebooks. Now I notice that I also have full notebooks. I can fill a notebook. I’m less worried about perfection: I just write, doodle, draw, cross out and try again.

I’ve always loved new notebooks. I stroke the cover and flip through the blank pages.

I will always love that new notebook feeling and now I also have old notebooks to love.

Try holding one of your old notebooks, sandwiched in two hands, full of your writing.

That feeling you notice? That’s accomplishment.



Ona Feinberg is a K-5 Instructional Coach in Central Pennsylvania. She began her teaching career in second grade, and started teaching 6th grade in 2001. She is passionate about teaching, reading, writing, authenticity, kindness, and her 3 children. When she isn’t at school you might find her writing, reading, or walking her dog, Finnegan Foxy Feinberg. You can follow her on her blog onathought.com, or on twitter @OnaFeinberg. 

Write for Us!
The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing.  We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found in the “Write For Us” tab above.


2 comments:

  1. This line is everything, "Try holding one of your old notebooks, sandwiched in two hands, full of your writing." It makes me sad to think there are people who haven't felt this joy. And I think your notebook "problem" isn't a problem...it's a commitment! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to start calling it that! "A Commitment!" :-) I also have a commitment to pens... :-)
      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. :) Happy Writing!

      Delete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.