Friday, October 19, 2018

Writing with Purpose and Passion by Danielle Waller



Writing calms my spirits, lifts me, sends me on a journey with my pen determining my track. Many times going down one road leads me to another, an often unexpected one. Often I think I have the end in mind, but it’s only the beginning of a new tale to spin.

Writing has always been in my bones. I dreamed of being a professional writer and my dream came true when I landed my first job writing for a community newspaper.

Rarely did I cover hard news, but I often pondered the awesome responsibility I had to tell someone's story. I thought, How incredible it is that I get to sit down with a total stranger and then weave together that person`s words to tell his or her story, bringing it alive for an audience!

When I write with students, we talk about our audience. The audience is never the teacher. At the start of the year, everyone wants to come up to me and ask, “Is this good?” I just smile and ask, “Do you think so?”

I tell them it doesn’t matter what I think of it! “Who is the audience for your story or article?” That gets them thinking and writing something that people want to read. They stop writing for the teacher and instead write because it's an issue they’re passionate about or it’s a story from their lives with real meaning. That's when you begin to see authentic writing.

I write along with my students. It's important for them to see that I have stories I'm working on too, and even ones I hope to publish one day. Many times it can be difficult to even begin. But starting the journey alongside your students is a great start. It’s okay not knowing where your pen will take you; you just need to begin.



Danielle Waller is a fourth-grade teacher at Dunn Elementary in Louisville, Kentucky. She is a career changer with a background in journalism and public relations. Follow her on Twitter: @Danielle_Waller

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.