Monday, October 22, 2018

I. Am. A. Writer. by Alexis Ennis



Say it with me:  I. Am. A. Writer.

I want my students to leave my class knowing they are a writer. I cannot do my job in making them feel confident as a writer if I do not see myself as a writer as well.

When you first meet me, I would not come out and tell you that I am a writer. Nor, would I even share that I like to write. Even my closest friends do not know that I write. Being a writer is not something I project to everyone, it is private...for now.

Last June, I wrote a post for this blog about wanting to be more and to write more. I expressed my lack of confidence in seeing myself as a writer. I took it upon myself to change this feeling and to feel more like a writer. I have started free writing when I feel stressed or find my mind racing. I blog about books. I started an outline of a book I hope to write. I challenged myself to the 100 Days of Summer Writing. (I made it to day 24.) I am making progress.

My advice? Take risks. Challenge yourself. Tell your students your challenges and your risks, they will want to read your stories and they will hold you accountable. Dedicate time to write. Write alongside your students. Just write something, every day.

If you are reading this blog, you are already on the “write” track. You are a writer. You want to write. You are looking for advice and suggestions. Say it with me, I am a writer.


Alexis Ennis is a 6th grade ELA teacher. You can follow her on Twitter @Mrs_Ennis_OMS, on Instagram @mrs_bookdragon, or at her blog www.mrsbookdragon.com.

1 comment:

  1. This made me smile. I could have written it. And sometimes, it's OK just to write for yourself :)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.