Friday, August 17, 2018

More than a Facilitator by Tracy Vogelgesang



I love teaching writing.  I love encouraging kids as they dabble in creating their own narratives or composing a research report that enlightens and entertains the reader.  No matter the genre, I encourage them to play with words and sentences, finding the perfect combination to say exactly what they want to say.  They love the freedom to choose, create, and find their voices in my room, and parents often thank me for helping their children learn to love writing.


There was only one problem.  I lived my own writing dreams through my learners. I facilitated a community of writers, but I was not one among them. 

Cue: mindset shift.  This summer has been a summer of reflection and growth as a teacher who writes.

Prior to my participation in the Teach Write community, I considered myself a teacher who dreams of being a writer...someday.  I held this dream of becoming a writer for most of my life, yet for various reasons, I denied myself permission to realize my dream.  My yearning to write, though, continued to grow, so I decided to do something about it.


My participation in the Teach Write community encourages my writing voice to step out of the shadows and be heard.  I am learning that taking “me time” to write each day is okay, in fact, necessary.


I will be returning to school living my own writing life along with my classroom writing community.  I will facilitate, yes, but I will do so by sharing my own writing experiences.  The thought of sharing this precious time with my students motivates me and helps me look at my instruction and curricula with fresh eyes.


My personal writing time has become a non-negotiable.  I will make time for it somehow in my daily schedule.  Whether it be five minutes or an hour, I want to be sure that I show up for my students and myself.  I cannot wait to see what this school year holds in my community of writers!


Tracy Vogelgesang currently teaches writing and science for grades 3-5. She has been teaching for 25 years and loves helping students discover their voices and realize the strengths and gifts they bring to this world. Tracy spends her free time building memories with her husband, children, grandchildren, and sweet little Jack Russell terrier. She also writes, reads, gardens, and enjoys time with friends. Tracy can be found on Twitter @Mrs_T_V.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.