Thursday, August 16, 2018

6 Steps to Keep Teacher-Writers Moving Forward All Year Long by Lisa Burns



Once a new school year begins, my days become full and my new habits can fall by the wayside. No matter how well intentioned I am, it’s difficult to maintain my writing habit in the midst of the Back-to-School hustle and bustle. So, how will I stoke the writing fire and keep my habit strong?


My 6 Step Plan for Keeping the Writing Habit All Year

Connect. Connecting with other writers regularly helps me stay motivated and on task. My writing group meets on Facebook, so I check in once a week.

Habit. Write daily and weekly according to my current habit. You’re thinking, “Thank you, Captain Obvious!” I know it seems obvious, but this is really more about maintaining the habit (even if it is just for 10 minutes each day). My point is, I can’t let the HABIT die or even slip. Sitting down and writing at my usual time, even if the time spent is shorter than I would like, is essential.

Write with students for a few minutes as they get started with their writing. It’s good modeling, and it’ll give me a few extra minutes of daily writing time as well.

Schedule time. If it’s not on the schedule, it’s not going to happen. I”ll continue to make a point of blocking out time for writing on my calendar. Putting writing time on my calendar with a time and date makes writing a priority, a promise to myself.

Routine. Create a morning or evening routine that includes time to write. Think autopilot. If I can make writing part of a larger routine, it can go on autopilot. Then, I’m less likely to forget or talk myself out of it.

Invite and inspire. While I have a [small] place set up to work at home, it’s been a while since I’ve spruced it up. Adding fresh flowers, painting and just re-organizing my space are on my to-do list this summer. Investing in my space will give me a little motivational boost.


I’ve got this! How about you?


With more than 20 years of experience in education, Lisa Burns has taught all grades K-6. Currently, she is a mentor teacher and instructional coach who is passionate about authentic learning in Language Arts, classroom organization and helping teachers thrive. When she is not busy supporting teachers, reading or writing, you’ll find her having fun with her family. Learn more about Lisa at https://www.hopeineducation.com or follow her on Twitter at @lisahburns, on Facebook, and on Instagram @lisa_j_burns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.