Friday, April 27, 2018

My Source of Creative Comfort by Deb Day

Poetry.

It draws fear into the hearts of many. But for me, poetry has always been a source of creative comfort. From sappy love poems to angry missives, I loved the way the right words, the right phrases could share so many thoughts and feelings.

My favorite form for writing poetry is free verse because, quite frankly, I don’t like most poetry that rhymes. I think it takes a master to write poetry with distinct rhythm and rhyme and that I am not.  Free verse allows me to choose strong words that share my thoughts. Free verse also allows me to write the lines of poetry exactly how I think them. Putting a single word or a short phrase on its own line emphasizes an idea and lets my reader know I think it’s important.

I don’t always sit down to write poetry or have an idea for a poem. Many times, I sit down to write and that’s just how the words come out of my fingers. Ideas for poetry come from many places--students, grandkids, Chloe. The trigger for a poem could be a giggle, a thought expressed or a line of conversation. This is how my favorite poem came to be.

I love listening to how kids learn language. They use unique expressions to get their point across. They mix up letters in words--baseghetti, anyone?  Or they say things like, "Can I flush the toaster?" (Really. Think about it.)

So conversations with my grandkids are always delightful. My poem (below) When I Grow Little came about from this conversation:


Me: So Tony, how is preschool? Are you having fun?
Tony:  Yep. I learned "Going on a Bear Hunt."

I recited the first line and asked if that was the right one.  He assured me it was and proceeded to recite the whole thing (with actions, of course).

"I like that, Tony!  Will you teach it to me?"

"Well, Gramma, when you grow little, maybe you will learn it at school."

When I Grow Little

When I grow little
I will sing with passion
Even if
I don't sing very well.

I will draw lots and lots
of pictures
And not care
that no one
Knows what I drew.

When I grow little
I will skip down the sidewalk, and
Wear my favorite clothes
(Even if they don't match).

I won't care what I look like
in a bathing suit.
I will take naps when I need them
(With my favorite toy).

When I grow little
I'll eat cold hotdogs for breakfast and
Warm cookies and milk for lunch.
I'll lick the frosting off my cupcake.

I'll make someone else kill the bugs and
take  fish off the hook
(Even if they don't like them either).

I will say
"I love you"
a million times a day
(Just to make sure
they know I mean it)
And I will always start my day with
Morning Hugs
When I grow little.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.