Thursday, April 26, 2018

A More Heightened Sense of Noticing by Joann Snook

I believe that the study of poetry makes me a more heightened “noticer.” One of the reasons that I look forward to National Poetry Month and celebrate it with my students is because I believe that it enhances our way of seeing – of noticing – our surroundings. 

I am not sure why or how this happens, just that it does happen…like a magic trick that I can perform but not explain.

When driving to school, the sun through the clouds is a poem. The stump outside my classroom is more than something to trip over; it is a lonely vestige worthy of description.

During Poetry Month I see “better” and try to get my students to do the same. Their work indicates that at least some of them do.

Has anyone else experienced this effect – the “April effect”? Any ideas why or how it happens?



Joann Snook has taught high school English for forty years and currently teaches A.P. Literature. You can connect with Joann on Twitter at @Joann Snook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.