Wednesday, January 10, 2018

A Lovely Clean Slate by Kathleen Neagle Sokolowski

A new year beckons all my best intentions. A lovely clean slate. The opportunity to stop for a while, reflect on where I am and consider where I might want to go. In all aspects of my life, I’m thinking about ways to be productive, joyful, appreciative, positive, and accomplished.

My One Little Word for 2018 is DO. This year will be about actions- lighting candles instead of cursing darkness. It’s about focusing less on the obstacles and the reasons why I can’t and doing more of what I can.

I’m grateful to the #TeachWrite team for inviting me to post here about my writing goals for 2018. Since this is my year to DO, there are four specific goals I have when it comes to myself as a writer. Without further ado, here are my writing goals for 2018:

Use my writer’s notebook

I know a writer’s notebook can be a great source of inspiration. Like a playground, the notebook can capture ideas, words, phrases, moments, memories. I’ve stopped using one and I regret it. My mind is always so full. I need a place to put the thoughts and make space for new ones! I think if I use my notebook more authentically, I’ll be able to inspire my students to see their notebook that way, too. I bought this notebook in the summer and my goal is to fill it this year.

Write more poetry. 

In October 2016, I worked on a Passion Project. I took a picture every day and then wrote a haiku to match it. A haiku a day felt do-able. I’d like to try this again during another month this year- maybe in July when summer is in full swing. Amy Ludwig Vanderwater’s new book Poems Are Teachers: How Studying Poetry Strengthens Writing in All Genres has inspired me to try out different techniques when crafting poems. I also recently bought Mary Oliver’s collection of poems, entitled Devotions. Reading more poetry will hopefully help me to write better poetry too!

Take on the Slice of Life Story Challenge in March!

Each March, the Two Writing Teachers hosts the Slice of Life Story Challenge. Bloggers, who are often teachers or educators, pledge to write a blog post each day in March. Bloggers also read and comment on 3 other posts daily. 2015 was my first year taking the challenge. Blogging every single day for 31 days is HARD but also really rewarding.

When I look back at my posts from 2015, 2016, and 2017, I can see snippets of my life and remember what was happening then, the way I was feeling, the way I’ve grown. March is my daughter’s birthday and report card time for my 3rd-grade class. I also challenge my students to participate in the Classroom SOLSC too, which leads to March being like a writing marathon! Crossing the finish line feels so good. This year, I plan to take part again…..seeing it through each day is my goal!

Be a Teacher-Writer Ambassador!

I’m one of the co-directors of the Long Island Writing Project, a local site of the National Writing Project. Being a Writing Project teacher means you believe in the power that comes when you are a writer yourself.

Through my involvement in the Long Island Writing Project and the Two Writing Teachers, I have looked for opportunities to preach the teacher-as-writer gospel! This year, I want to find more ways to help educators see the power and possibilities that come from being a writer yourself. I hope to offer an in-service for teachers in my district that will help them start their own teacher blog! (Hopefully just in time for the Slice of Life Story Challenge in March!) When you write often and value the role writing plays in your life, you bring that to your students. I’m looking to find ways to inspire more teachers to write and so this is another goal of mine in 2018.

I look forward to connecting with teachers online through Two Writing Teachers and joining here with the #TeachWrite community for chats throughout the year. I also am excited to connect face to face with my colleagues and Long Island educators through my work with the Long Island Writing Project.

Here’s to setting new goals and writing new chapters in 2018!


Kathleen Neagle Sokolowski is a third-grade teacher in Farmingdale, NY. She is also one of the co-authors of the Two Writing Teachers blog and the co-director of the Long Island Writing Project. Kathleen would love it if you connect with her on Twitter @MrsSokolowski and follow her personal blog, Courage Doesn’t Always Roar
Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing.  We are looking for guest bloggers for January who would like to blog on topics related to our January theme -- GOALS.  Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kathleen, for writing a post for us. So fun to see all the people who are willing to take this leap with us. I am trying to write each day in my notebook. And I'm doing a poem a day. For me, these are doable goals. I will likely write for the SOLC again this year. I think it will be year 6 or 7 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! You truly walk the talk of a writing teacher!!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.