Friday, December 8, 2017

One Who Writes: A Writing Manifesto by Leigh Anne Eck


I have been writing since I was a little girl, but I have not always called myself a writer. I thought being a writer meant you had to publish a book, that you were an author.

It wasn't until I became a writing teacher that I realized being a writer was simply...

one who writes.

And being one who writes became just as important as one who teaches.

When my #TeachWrite Chat team decided to write manifestos, I dug deep to examine my true beliefs about how I defined being a writer, especially a teacher-writer.  For me, they are one in the same.  They are connected, and now, I cannot be one without the other.

This challenge of writing a manifesto was not easy.  Putting it out there for everyone to see was even more difficult.  When we name our beliefs, they become attached to us.  When we write them down, they become stronger.  And when they become stronger, they become a part of who we are, for all to see.  So, here is who I am as a teacher-witer...for now.

This I believe:

Writing is hard which makes teaching writing easier.  This does not mean that teaching writing is easy, but I know teaching writing was much harder when I did not write.

Writing is a solitary act.  It is one mind, one pen, one story.  This doesn't mean writing cannot be shared; it just means sharing is not required.

Writing gives me a chance to reflect.  Much of my writing is reflective, especially writing about my teaching.  I work through problems; I celebrate successes, and because I write, I become a better person.

Writing is a constant state of composition.  I find stories and writing ideas everywhere and at any time of day.  I may not physically write my ideas down, but I am always thinking, wondering, and observing - a constant state of composition.

Writing needs to be visible.  My students don't always need to see my words, but they need to see me in the act of writing.  They need to know I go through the same struggles as they do.  I fear the blank page.  I make mistakes. I revise, revise, and revise.

Writing needs to be fearless.  It is scary to put our words on paper.  We become vulnerable.  When we become fearless, we become empowered.

I am a writer because I am simply...

one who writes.




This month, the #TeachWrite Chat Blog will be sharing the Writing Manifestos of our community. What do you believe about being a writer? Would you like your Writing Manifesto featured on this blog?  Are you interested in writing for us at another time? Fill out this Google form and we will be in touch with a date for you to submit your post.

3 comments:

  1. I love this- I am a writer because I am one who writes! So important to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wonderful Leigh Anne. I love the way you gave the physical (and emotional) act of writing down why you write presence by sharing how it benefits not just YOU but others who are lucky enough to read this. This is just so lovely and I know that all of these posts will spur me to turn up my writer brave a notch or two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love our belief about writing being a "constant state of composition. I think this is the biggest thing I learned when I started doing my own writing and not just watching my students write. I know that in March when I am participating in the Slice of Life challenge over on Two Writing Teachers I am constantly composing my "slice" of the day.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.