Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Give Yourself Permission to be a Writer by Margaret Simon



I’ve travelled a long road to becoming a writer, to feeling like writing is an integral part of who I am.  Early in my teaching career, I went through a summer institute for the National Writing Project.  I began to see that my jottings and my stories and my poems could make me a better thinker, a better teacher, and a better person.

Through the writing project, I met many mentors.  One mentor told us that the best writers were the ones who gave themselves the most permissions.  I have thought of this quote often.  What does it mean to give yourself permission?  When I was contemplating my manifesto,  I asked myself, “What permissions do you give yourself as a writer?”


  • I give myself permission to be vulnerable.  I never know how something I write will resonate with a reader.  Will it be rejected? embraced? understood? or misunderstood?  Communication is a tricky thing.  To write, one has to let go of expectations for the reader and let it be.  
  • I give myself permission to revise, rethink, reimagine. One of the most satisfying parts of the writing process is revision.  It’s reworking the clay that brings about magic.  
  • I give myself permission to be myself. If you are a reader, you know what it’s like to long to write like one of your favorite authors.  But we can’t all be the same.  And who would want us to be?  We must be our truest selves in our writing. 
  • I give myself permission to write anywhere.  I learned this one through NWP writing marathons.  Each marathon began with us teacher-writers turning to each other and saying, “I am a writer.”  There is a sense of pride in that statement, but there is also permission to be a writer wherever you are.  Writing out in the world helps me capture those seeds of ideas and voices that speak to me. 
  • I give myself permission not to write.  In our #TeachWrite Twitter chat for December, Jess Keating said that non-writing time is just as important.  Many mornings, I leave my computer and go for a walk with my dog, Charlie.  It feeds my soul and refreshes my mind.  



  • I give myself permission to share my writing.  On my blog, Reflections on the Teche (pronounced “tesh” for the bayou that runs behind my house.), I publish regularly.  I write for round ups like Slice of Life and Poetry Friday and Celebration Saturday.  This regular posting pushes me to be a brave releaser of my words into the world. The responses feed me as a writer as well as connect me to other writers.  
In what way do you need to give yourself permission to be a writer?  No one but yourself is going to give you that reassurance.  Put on your bravest self and put your words out into the world.  You may be surprised at what you receive in return.  

This month, the #TeachWrite Chat Blog will be sharing the Writing Manifestos of our community. What do you believe about being a writer?  Would you like your Writing Manifesto featured on this blog?  Are you interested in writing for us at another time? More information is available here.

1 comment:

  1. This is so amazing Margaret. Your "permissions" are so personally relevant to me (including permission NOT to write some days). I love this so much and will be coming back to read it again and again. I think we can all use these lovely permissions! In fact I read just recently that someone said the best thing she did was to actually write a permission slip to keep it in writing. I love that idea and may even try it.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.