Monday, June 10, 2019

This Summer, I Will Write by Donnetta Norris



This summer, the summer of 2019, I have decided to embark on an adventure that is completely out of my comfort zone.

Upon perusing my favorite social media site, I happened upon this opportunity to write.

I’m not talking about writing a reply to a tweet or a responding to a post. No, I am daring to travel down the road of writing for a blog. Needless to say, I am extremely nervous. Do I have what it takes to write something worthy of reading? Do I possess the vocabulary required to not “write like a third grader” (actual quote from one of my Master’s professors)?

I honestly don’t have the answers to either of these questions, but I know I can’t live my life fearing the what-ifs, so here I go. I plan to make the most of this opportunity and learn to be a writer.

This summer, I will just start writing.

Maybe I will carry a notebook everywhere I go, and write what inspires me. Maybe I will spend some time in a secluded location, alone with my thoughts. Or maybe I will just keep referring back to the email I received from the blog contact and respond to each of the “Ideas to get you started” prompts.

Either way, this summer I will write.

Maybe at some point during this escapade, I will actually begin to consider myself a writer.



Donnetta Norris is a second-grade teacher. You can follow her on Twitter at @NorrisDonnetta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.