Wednesday, June 26, 2019

How to Keep Up With a Second Language During the Summer by Casey Chon



As an educator trained in teaching Arabic, I’ve seen many different ways that foreign languages are taught at schools. Maybe the Spanish teacher travels around from classroom to classroom with an easel, or maybe students are taking French for 50 minutes every day. Perhaps students are tasked with a choice of a foreign language, or they are required to take the one that is offered. Whatever the case may be, what happens when summer comes around and students may no longer be exposed to the language they are learning?

I’ve found that when I write and make sentences in a second language, I’m much more likely to retain more knowledge than if I was using flashcards or another method. My summer writing goal is to write a page every day on a random topic I’ve chosen previously in Arabic. The topics range from weather, food, transportation, to more complex ones like my opinion about the state of higher education in the United States. By writing the topics myself I am able to stay within my level of Arabic, while also exploring different kinds of words - such as different verbs, settings, etc.

My summer writing goal may seem really simple, but even two weeks into doing this project, I’ve found myself looking forward to writing! If you’re looking for a way to keep up with a second language this summer, try writing every day!


Casey Chon obtained her Masters of Arts in Teaching Arabic from Boston University in May 2019. She graduated from Hampshire College in May 2018 with her BA. She loves delving into topics surrounding education such as equity and inclusion, and would love to connect with you! Find her at @UstaazaCasey on Twitter.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.