Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Always Writing by Karen Filewych



Ah… summer writing...

Fortunately or unfortunately, I am an early riser despite the time of year. Even during the summer months when I stay up late and will myself to sleep in, no can do. It just doesn’t happen. So that early morning time - coffee in hand and candles lit, before the house has stirred - becomes precious writing time.

When I’ve spent a few solid early morning hours immersed in words, other times throughout the day also tend to become writing time.

I am often writing when I’m walking and when I’m reading. Sometimes, dear friends and family, I am writing when I’m with you, too. Take the other night: during an evening performance of my mom’s choir, I was engaged and listening, but I was also writing. In fact, an idea materialized that I expect will transform my current manuscript.

The more I dive into the writing life, the more I realize that writing time does not always imply pen in hand or fingers on keyboard. However, I cannot simply wait for these moments to occur. I must first be diligent in carving out time when I actually do have pen in hand or fingers on keyboard. Then, the magic happens and ideas materialize at unexpected moments.

Just as our students benefit from the routines we establish in our classrooms, my writing self benefits from the summer routines I put into place. Since my internal clock wakes me early, I build my routine around that time. And if it means I need an afternoon nap, so be it!



Karen Filewych is a language arts consultant and writer in Edmonton, Canada. She is passionate about the power of words! Her website, www.wordschangeworlds.ca, includes her blog and weekly children’s book reviews. Follow her on twitter @KarenFilewych and find her on Facebook, Instagram and Goodreads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.