Thursday, May 9, 2019

Moving Past the Wall by Tracy Vogelgesang



Writing every day...a dream that became a reality.  In March, I successfully participated in a daily blogging challenge.  I felt energized and motivated by my daily writing habit.  I was on top of the world. 

Then came April.  For teachers, that means full steam ahead to the end of the year finish line and total exhaustion.  My daily writing habit hit a wall.  I ran out of steam.  I was saddened and frustrated, and I knew I had to climb over this obstacle. 

I am still climbing, but I do believe I am on my way.  I have noticed the following things about moving past this block:


  • It helped to talk about it with like-minded people.  I am grateful for the fantastic people in my Wednesday night Teach Write writing group!
  • My notebook was a lifeline.  I could sort out my thinking and jot down ideas.
  • Some days all I wrote was a line of gratitude in an app on my phone.  That is okay.  
  • I hit the wall while writing a blog post about a topic I love.  I refused to abandon it, though I admit that I thought about it.  It took a few weeks, but the post is done!
  • I continuously told myself that experiencing this block is a normal part of the process.  Blocks do not define my writing or me, and I will move past them. 


Although I am still not writing as much daily content as I was, I am writing again every day.  For that, I am thankful. 


Tracy Vogelgesang currently teaches a writing community of third, fourth, and fifth graders.  She also teaches them how to explore the wonders that surround them through science. She has been teaching for 25 years and loves helping students discover their voices and realize the strengths and gifts they bring to this world. When Tracy isn’t teaching and writing, she spends her free time building memories with her husband, children, and grandchildren. She also reads, gardens, and enjoys time with family and friends. Tracy can be found on Twitter @Mrs_T_V and at https://everydaycounts.edublogs.org/.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.