Friday, May 24, 2019

Living a More Writerly Life by Christie Wyman



Lately, I feel as if I am living a more writerly life.

Notebook writing has become an important part of my daily routine and I’ve gotten in the habit of carrying a small notebook with me everywhere I go to capture what I see, what I hear, and what I feel -- literally and figuratively. I haven’t mastered writing while walking as the late great Mary Oliver did, but who knows. I like a challenge! You might not want to go for a walk with me, because I am forever stopping and scribbling something down.


Here are a few others noticings about my ever-evolving writing life:

I notice I am more reflective of my writing process. During National Poetry Month, as I wrote and shared a poem each and every day for 30 straight days (and that was after Slicing daily for 31 straight days!), I found myself thinking about my writing process and wanting to share that, too. As I worked through Slices and poems, I began to capture some of those process thoughts in my notebook. I often enjoy reading about where other writers’ ideas come from as well as writing process-related information. My fellow Poetry Friday community participants share this meta information frequently, so I began to add “a peek into my poem and process” feature in my posts, wondering if others were just as curious. From the comments some readers shared, it turned out they were.

I notice a need for more notebooks. Love that one! A couple of months ago, I felt an urge to separate my writing ideas from my daily “anytime pages” journal writing. A friend recommended using a separate notebook, and I am so glad I made that shift.


Now when an idea pops into my head (such as the words you are reading right now) I jot them down in my project notebook, which at the moment is a Happy Notes notebook with moveable dot grid pages. My “anytime pages” are captured in a traditional, bound, hardcover journal. When and if an idea comes to me while writing in my journal, I can move it to the project notebook.

I notice I have changed as a reader. I read more and more now through my writer lens, whether it is a book, poetry, blog posts, or even emails. My awareness of tone, structure, word choice is heightened. I find myself thinking. “Ooo. I like how they said that!” or “Hmmm. I think I might have said” more and more.

And then I write it down in my notebook.


Christie Wyman is a Kindergarten teacher and Grade Leader in Massachusetts, as well as a Lead Ambassador for Wonderopolis.org and an active Teach Write participant. When not nurturing her young writer/naturalists, she enjoys exploring vernal pools, marveling at the birds at her feeders, hiking with her husband wherever mountains meet the sea, and writing in her various notebooks. You may connect with Christie on Twitter @WymansWonders or on her blog, Wondering and Wandering, where she posts weekly for the Slice of Life, #WordlessWednesday, and Poetry Friday communities.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is music to my ears! Thank you for sharing the part notebooks have played in your growth as a writer. I'm fascinated by your journey and as always, I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.