Monday, May 6, 2019

Breaking Away by Leigh Anne Eck



The past two weeks have been testing weeks for my students. They have plugged away reading multiple passages, writing short answer responses and an essay, and working multi-step math problems. This year we arranged our schedule to allow for more breaks. We staggered our testing days and have a short break in the two-hour-long sessions. I have noticed how much my students need these breaks, whether it is days in-between or a short 10 minute break. 

What do breaks mean for us, as writers?

The #TeachWrite Chat Blog took a much-needed break. I took a much-needed break from blogging after the March Slice of Life Challenge.  As writers, we need those breaks much like my students needed the breaks during testing. Many times breaking away from writing becomes moments of reflection, moments of noticing.

I notice...

I must give myself some grace. Breaking from writing means I am no less of a writer. It simply means I need to walk away for a while. My reasons for taking a break are my own, and I need not to be apologetic.

I come back recharged. When I return from a writing break, I am recharged and refueled. Usually I see stronger writing upon my return.

While I am away, I see things from a different perspective. Taking a break from writing lets me see things in a different light. Maybe it is because I am not searching for a writing topic; instead, topics come naturally and come in ways I don't expect.

Upon my return, I am more willing to take risks. Breaking away from writing for a little while gives me courage to try new things and take risks with my writing once I return.

I think we all need breaks. If you need to break away from writing, then do it and notice what you learn while you are away. You know we will be here to support you upon your return.


Leigh Anne will soon finish her 12th year of teaching, seven years at the elementary level and five years at the middle school level in Southwestern Indiana.  She recently earned her Master's degree in Curriculum and Instruction at Western Governors University with a goal of becoming a literacy coach. Leigh Anne has a passion for connecting kids with books and helping teachers develop a writing life. You can connect with her on Twitter @Teachr4 or on her blog, A Day in the Life

3 comments:

  1. Breaks are so important, I agree! This post reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite writer, Anne Lamott...“Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.” This definitely applies to writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to read this, Leigh Anne. It is a good reminder to let go of the guilt that can surface during these times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am taking a break after two months of blogging daily. I need it. I'm not sure I'll take off the whole month, but May is a busy time. Your post came at the right time for me.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.