Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Survival Tips for Writers


As I write this, I'm taking a break from my writing for NaNoWriMo. I'm five days in and it's hard. Writing is hard. I'm plagued with self-doubt and insecurity. I'm sure that I can't do it and it's no good anyway. If it's so hard and painful, why do I do it? It's worth it. I believe that everyone (including me) has a story that the world needs to hear. I'm the author of my story, so I need to craft those words, sentences, and chapters and share it with the world. How do I sustain myself as a writer? Here are my survival tips for writers...

1. My notebook writing. 
This brings me peace and laughter and clarity in an uncertain world. Spending a few minutes (or more) in the pages of my notebook every single day soothes my soul and brings me back to life when I'm struggling.

2. Fellow writers. 
Currently, I'm in an accountability group for NaNoWriMo. Those four other people hold me up when I can't stand. They nudge me and make me laugh and encourage me when I want to quit. How do they do it? They accomplish this by showing up themselves and by being authentically imperfect writers. 

3.  Audience.
Hearing what others think of my writing or how others are affected by my story...this moves me to continue. Having readers gives me another reason to write. It's not my primary reason, but it does help.

4. Grace. 
Showing myself grace when my writing isn't perfect. Showing myself grace when the words don't say what I want them to say. Showing myself grace when I feel insecure and unworthy. Grace saves my writing life over and over again.  

5. Faith. 
Believing that my story is worth writing. The only way I know that is by sitting down and writing it. During each and every writing session-even when I feel like I am the worst writer in the world- there's a glimmer...a phrase, a sentence, an idea that makes me feel proud of myself. Hold onto those glimmers. They keep you going when things feel overwhelming. 

Writers, you aren't alone. Writing is hard, but writing is worth it. Have faith. Show up. Give grace. And write...

As my friend Andy says, Onward Writers...

Michelle Haseltine spends her days with middle schoolers in Loudoun County, VA. Together they write, read, think, and create every single day. Michelle is a co-facilitator of our #TeachWrite twitter chat and a Teacher Consultant with the Northern Virginia Writing Project. She blogs regularly at One Grateful Teacher . Michelle tweets regularly at @Mhaseltine and Instagrams at @Mhaselti 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.