Wednesday, November 14, 2018

How Do You Define 'Writing'? by Amy Spiker



I love encouraging students to think about their definition of “writing”.  I currently work with pre-service teachers and we discuss this in class often.  But, even when I was working with young elementary students I would talk with them about what it meant to be a writer and what writing looked like.  In schools we tend to value a written composition, using pencil and paper, with a clear and predictable structure.  My students, not surprisingly, also defined writing in this way.  I sought out ways to broaden their definition of writing.

The best success I had in this endeavor was to replace the standard state report with multi-genre projects.  Instead of providing a graphic organizer to create an informational report, I provided my students with a menu from which they had to choose at least five ways to display their learning.  This menu included choices like creating a comic strip, creating an acrostic poem, writing a rap, writing new lyrics to a well-known song, and scripting a podcast or news report.

Using multi-genre projects had so many benefits.  My students who usually left the room for special education support during writing could stay and be supported in a variety of text generating activities. My students demonstrated a much deeper understanding of their state’s unique facts.  Perhaps most importantly, my students’ definition of writing was broadened and they saw themselves as writers, some for the very first time.

I still utilize multi-genre projects with my pre-service teachers at the end of each semester.  They are engaged and motivated to display their learning and they see a model for teaching and assessing that they can utilize in their future classroom.  They learn that writing can take many forms and is ultimately about communicating meaning.  I hope that they will one day challenge their students to broaden the definition of  “writing” and create a community of writers.   



Amy Spiker is a Senior Lecturer in Elementary Education and a former elementary teacher.  She can be found on Twitter @abethspiker.  Her blog is located at wyomingwritingproject.blogspot.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.