Monday, October 8, 2018

Why Do I Write? by Tynea Lewis



We are constantly asking our students to write, but do we ever consider why we write?

I love the #WhyIWrite campaign because it makes me look into myself and reflect on the reasons why writing is so important to my life.

It’s a part of who I am. For me, it’s as essential as breathing. When I don’t do it, I am weak, overwhelmed, lost, and frustrated.

A few months ago, I was going through some boxes of things I probably hadn’t seen since the last time we moved. As I came across one piece of paper, I just stared at it. The colorful sentences brought peace to my heart.

Life has been chaotic lately, and I haven’t been writing as much as I did when this paper was penned a decade ago.

Reading my words about why I write brought joy to my heart. It refreshed me. It ignited that spark again and reminded me of the necessity writing has in my life.


My twenty-year-old self said it best…

I write to escape.
I write to discover.
I write to invent.
I write early in the morning.
I write late into the night.
I write until I fall asleep.
I write when I can’t sleep.
I write to make sense of the world.
I write to change the world.
I write to change myself.
I write to have purpose.
I write for no purpose.
I write to create new worlds.
I write to pass the time.
I write to capture time.
I write to keep memories.
I write to forget.
I write to paint a picture.
I write when I’m inspired.
I write when I’m frustrated.
I write when I’m confused.
I write when I’m bored.
I write to capture moments.
I write out of joy.
I write out of discipline.
I write to keep myself thinking.
I write to give myself a challenge.
I write to inspire others.
I write for fun.
I write for a job.
I write to learn.
I write to discover.
I write for my sanity.
I write because I’m insane.
I write because words are fascinating.
I write to reconnect with my childhood.
I write so I don’t have to use my mouth.
I write for comfort.
I write because it makes sense.
I write to make my mark on the world.
I write because I’d go crazy if I didn’t.

Why do you write?

----

Tynea Lewis is a former Title I teacher from Pennsylvania. She was named a 30 Under 30 honoree by the International Literacy Association in 2016 for her work with LitPick Student Book Reviews, an online reading and writing program. When she’s not busy overseeing the program, working for Family Friend Poems and Write About, she loves to spend time with her husband and young daughters, write for a variety of audiences, and escape to the quietness of the mountains. You can connect with her on Twitter and Instagram at @TyneaLewis or on her blog at tynealewis.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.