Friday, October 26, 2018

The Ticking Clock by Liz Prather


One of the most important gifts a writing teacher can give herself is time to write. But with our 36 hour-obligations crammed into a 24-hour day, how can one find the time?

Julia Cameron in The Artist’s Way suggests writing three pages every morning as soon as you get out of bed is a great way to tap into creativity. Other teachers write when their students write, which is also a great practice, but I’ve never been able to drop into my writing head while watching the time, circulating the room, and keeping an eye on Zak who may or may not be juuling in the corner. 

What I do is write for 15 minutes every morning at my school desk before I start my day.  Before I check my email, write anything on the board or head to the copy room, I open a Google document titled “A Daily Page,” set the timer on my iPhone, and start writing. 
         
 It’s not pretty. It’s not profound. But like all good daily practices -- flossing or flexing or stretching—it’s the showing up that counts.  This practice builds my writing fluency, helps me keep in touch with my writing self, and reminds me of why I do what I do. Limiting myself to 15 minutes makes that time precious, but it also pushes me to ignore the critical voice of perfection in my head.

Tomorrow, commit to 15 minutes of writing and honor your writing intentions by putting the most important work first.



A freelance writer and blogger, Liz Prather teaches writing at Lafayette High School in Lexington, Kentucky. You can find her on Twitter @PratherLiz and at her blog www.teachlikeeveryoneislistening.wordpress.com.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.