Monday, October 15, 2018

Putting Pen to Paper by Tracy Vogelgesang



I am a writer.  I am also a teacher of writing.  Long before I considered myself a “real” writer, I found comfort, wisdom, and peace in the simple act of putting pen to paper and releasing the thoughts and feelings swirling around in my head and heart. 

The act of writing in its many varied forms is therapeutic for me.  Whether writing personally or professionally, writing helps me make sense of the world around me and gives me a tool for precisely communicating with others. Writing helps me organize my thoughts and see them objectively.  It clears my mind so I can see the big picture and begin to flesh out the details.  It is an outlet that inspires my creativity, helps me find courage, and strengthens my voice.  It is more than a tool, a hobby, and a lifeline.  It is who I am. 

As a teacher who writes, my main objective is that my students know that they, too, are writers.  I strive for them to know that they have the tools they need to create and explore, express their feelings, make sense of chaos, and find their voices.  Together, we are a community of writers.  I share my writing with them and encourage them to share their writing, too.  Building a writing community in the classroom begins with a teacher who writes.  I am that teacher. 

I am a writer.


Tracy Vogelgesang currently teaches a writing community of third, fourth, and fifth graders.  She also teaches them how to explore the wonders that surround them through science. She has been teaching for 25 years and loves helping students discover their voices and realize the strengths and gifts they bring to this world. When Tracy isn’t teaching and writing, she spends her free time building memories with her husband, children, grandchildren, and sweet little Jack Russell terrier. She also reads, gardens, and enjoys time with family and friends. Tracy can be found on Twitter @Mrs_T_V.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.