Wednesday, October 17, 2018

I Breathe, I Bask, I Write by Carla M. Brown


Words are such wonderful things, woven in the fabric of my fantasies.  I befriended them long ago in the picturesque canvas of my childhood memories. 

Soundscapes and landscapes left me fascinated.  Textures teased me with inquiry and intrigue.  Scents surged through my surroundings as tastes transported me to sensuous havens – and words helped me to breathe.

Language offers a medium through which to color one’s thoughts.  Now that I’m older, they mirror relationships, conundrums, pleasures, and pains.  I bask in their ability to unearth my most heart-wrenching catastrophes or proclaim miraculous milestones on behalf of strangers unknown – and then, I write.

I am proudest of the writing that offers my readers a transcendent experience.  I challenge myself to pen that which compels, contends, catalyzes and comforts.   Words make great playmates!  I am delighted by their rhyme and rhythm.  The ebb and flow of their tenor are subject to the composer, akin to a symphony of sorts.

I push myself to place my passions in print – through typing, texting (brainstorming with immediacy, that is), journaling, recording.  I am fueled by the recognition that what we write can imbue others in ways that we never imagined.  Writing is to be read.  To be shared.  To be esteemed.  To be held.

Many scripts and scribbles dance in my dreams: a children’s series for charred emotions; young adult fiction, both raw and revealing; the antithesis of annihilation by agony and poetry that pierces.

Words are wonderful things.

They are the sacred and most salient embers of my soul.



Carla M. Brown is an Educator, Speaker, Writer, & Coach and the owner of aspirExcel Enterprises.  There, she offers an array of inspirational services for businesses, non-profits, educators, parents, and students. When she isn’t embarking on escapades with her tribe of four boys, she enjoys exploring fabulous food adventures, losing herself in literacy love, and marital magic with her college sweetheart, Michael. You can connect with Carla on Twitter @mrscarlambrown, FaceBook at Carla M. Brown – Speaker & Writer, Instagram @carlamichellebrown or by visiting her website at www.carlambrown.com.

1 comment:

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.