Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Bringing the Life of a Writer into the Classroom by Andy Schoenborn


For as long as I can remember the idea of being a writer appealed to me. I admire the beauty of the written word and the emotional connection it can create with readers. Writing was something I dabbled in when the inspiration struck and, when it struck, it was lightning on the page. And, like lightning, I never knew when or where that bolt with strike. I admit, I like waiting for the moment to strike.

In those moments, topics present themselves and the words flow free and easy. It feels like I am a writer. But, like the aftermath of a lightning strike, the thrill of writing in that moment can stop just as quickly once the words get stuck. Often this is where my writing would stop. I liked writing when it felt good, but as soon as it became difficult gave up.

It takes courage to write, and if I wait for the writing moment to strike it will burn fast and bright and fade in an instant. It seemed I was alone in these experiences - a feeling writers often have when teetering into the unknown.

Since joining Teach Write late last year my writing life changed.

I found writer friends who understand a writer’s process is unique to the writer. These friends taught me writing is work to be celebrated and shared. Perhaps, most importantly, I learned we all get stuck from time to time and, however challenging, those are moments to embrace. It is in that stickiness where the writer is waiting to emerge. The climb out of the muck is hard because it is the threshold to breakthrough.

It is in the muck where I found any excuse not to push on. I would check Facebook - just for a minute. I would play just one game of Clash Royale - it always turned to more. Doing the laundry or the dishes soon became top priority. Then, I would sit down to write and notice how dirty the floor was and couldn’t wait to sweep it. As it turns out writers will often find any excuse not to write. It was this realization that helped me understand that what I needed were dedicated writing times, writing habits, and routines.

Instead of waiting for writing bursts, I decided to build my writing stamina and create momentum by writing everyday over the summer. Some days I struggled to write a sentence and self-edited my way through drafts - those days were rough. Other days I was able to carve out marathon writing sessions and felt accomplished when the words behaved the way I wanted them too. But, the days in the middle, when I sat down to write because I had committed to writing everyday were the days that sustained my writing momentum.

Going into the school year these practices have shifted my perspective.

I have already spoken with few students while they were walking the hallways looking for classes. Each time I brought up that I was interested in helping them to develop their reading and writing identities by letting them choose their goals. And, each time, they lit up with excitement. I was surprised by this at first but, after recalling my summer writing practices, I realized that writing invitations, time to write, and agency is all a writer really wants.

With that in mind my focus for the school year has shifted. Instead of trying to figure out what I am going to teach students, I wonder what kind of invitations create opportunities for my students to want to write.

This year I am bringing my writing life to students to help them craft their own reader and writer identities. Using writer's notebooks, quick writes, and deep dives into their interests while aligning them to curricular needs. Just as writers do, students will set their own writing goals and weigh writing invitations to find their own paths.

I imagine my students will view writing much like I used to - as a bolt of inspiration that strikes when you least expect it. But they will learn, much like I did, that writing is much more about sitting down and doing the work - when you do the lightning strikes begin to occur more often. The will no longer need to like the idea of being writers.

They will be writers.



Andy Schoenborn is a high school English teacher in Michigan at Mt. Pleasant Public Schools. He focuses his work on progressive literacy methods including student-centered critical thinking, digital collaboration, and professional development. As a past-president of the Michigan Council of Teachers of English and National Writing Project teacher consultant for Central Michigan University’s Chippewa River Writing Project he frequently conducts workshops related to literacy and technology. Read his thoughts on literacy in the elafieldbook.wordpress.com and follow him on Twitter @aschoenborn.

2 comments:

  1. You are truly dedicated to the growth of the writing identities of your student-writers. Lucky students! We can all learn from you. Thank you for sharing your ideas today.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.