Friday, August 10, 2018

Momentum and Motivation by Kathleen Palmieri


Momentum and motivation are closely related words when it comes to a writer’s life. What motivates me as a writer differs throughout the year. As a teacher who writes, during the school year, I write lesson plans, curriculum, report card comments, and feedback on student progress to name a few. I teach methods of writing across the writing genres from narratives to research reports.

Over the summer, I immerse myself in professional, collegial conversations and studies that help move me forward as a writer of professional articles and blog posts. While my reasons for writing differ, my motivation for writing is the same: I am a lifelong learner and educator who believes that a writer’s life is a learning adventure that never ends.

As a teacher who writes, I am mindful of what fuels my writing. It is important to not only teach the mechanics and methods of writing but to share my writing life with my students. I want them to see me as a mentor, which means allowing my students to use the writing process as they edit my work.
 
It is important for my young writers to see how I consider their thoughts and make changes accordingly. This helps to build a safe writing community where they will feel secure in sharing their writing, providing feedback to each other, as well as maintaining writing momentum. 

So how will I bring my writing life into my classroom this fall? This summer I practiced writing observational poetry, focusing on an object or place and writing what you see, hear, what it reminds you of, and how it makes you feel. I am going to combine this genre of writing with our mindful moments, time when my students relax and are thoughtful.

What can you do to maintain your writing momentum? Set reasonable goals for how long or often you’ll write, and write down ideas when they come to you- inspiration can be fleeting. Most of all, allow your writing life to be something that brings you a sense of accomplishment and take pride in the beauty of your words.



Kathleen Palmieri is a fifth-grade teacher in upstate New York. With a passion for literacy and learning in the classroom, she participates in various writing workshops and curriculum writing endeavors. As a lifelong learner, she is an avid reader and researcher of educational practices and techniques. Kathleen blogs about books at her blog Books We Love Sharing  https://tinyurl.com/y7cou3ep .Collaborating with colleagues, and globally on Twitter https://twitter.com/Kathie042500, is an ongoing practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.