Wednesday, July 4, 2018

There is Much to Celebrate by Jennifer Swisher-Carroll



As the school year ended, I saw several social media posts and memes from educators and students that proudly proclaimed “We Survived Another Year.”

At the time, I smiled and agreed.

However, after I achieved some distance from my classroom, I began to wonder: Is survival the best we can claim?

“Survival” sounds rather neutral. “Survivors” make it through the battle, and while they are still standing, perhaps even mightily, the term “survive” doesn’t represent all they accomplished in the trenches.

So, what did we accomplish this year?

If, like me, you are an English teacher, you likely accomplished one (or more) of the following:

You helped a student realize he or she was a writer. Perhaps during a writing conference, one of your students had that “aha” moment. Finally. I had several moments when I said to a student, “This sentence, phrase, paragraph,or essay is just beautiful. I love everything about it.” I loved the confidence and smiles that greeted my words. Celebrate: we are molding lifelong writers.

You were able to “gush” with a student over a book. My students read books that I assign to them and self-selected independent texts. Of course, I often have students who love the novels we study as a group, but more often, students find incredible literature all on their own. Our students engage with great writing, great literature without us leading them to it. Celebrate: we are molding lifelong readers.

Finally, because of you, one of your students loves ELA… maybe for the first time. Did anyone receive a note or email from a student this past month that said something like, “I never liked English before your class.” I know I did. These notes are usually from students who have historically struggled in ELA. Celebrate: we made a difference for those students.

Rejoice as you reflect upon the achievements of your students and yourself this past year. Yes, there is much to improve upon and refine next year, but there is so much to celebrate.

I think we did more than survive. We conquered.




Jennifer Swisher-Carroll teaches AP Literature and English 11 at Edwardsburg High School in Michigan. She holds a Bachelor's degree from Central Michigan University and a Master’s degree from Indiana University South Bend. She is honored to be a Past President of the Michigan Council of Teachers of English. Jennifer resides with her husband and daughter in Granger, Indiana. 


2 comments:

  1. I am catching up on some blog post reading this morning, and I so needed this one earlier in the summer when I was in the survival mode and needed to be in the celebration mode. Yes, we do make a difference in the lives of our students, but sometimes we need to be reminded. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Thank you for the paradigm shift! We DID conquer! I get those notes and comments and sometimes don’t realize how important they are. What a great reminder as I ease into preparing for next year. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.