Thursday, July 26, 2018

Experiencing Summer Through the Eyes of a Beginning Writer by Jowan Nabha



July is a time I celebrate family. It’s a time I forget the world and focus solely on the ones I love most. Some summers I am almost six thousand miles away in the Middle East making memories with family members I don’t get the chance to see and miss dearly. Other summers I am in my hometown of Detroit, Michigan indulging in what makes me a pure Michigander: lakes, festivals, barbecues, and enjoying the long days and short nights.

This July will be a new time in my life that I celebrate experiencing the summer through the eyes of a beginner writer. I read an article that described the process of writing as one becoming familiar with their own minds. Finding clarity with our thoughts to be able to put it on paper so we can see and understand them more objectively. That is my goal. Write, even if all motivation has left me.

This July I will be traveling to the east coast to visit family. I’ve driven this trail numerous times but have never quite experienced it through the eyes of the writer. My goal for this trip will be to write about even the smallest of things I encounter along the way.

My inspiration might come from the scenic trails along the Pennsylvania Appalachians. Or perhaps the police officer we met at a small diner who so kindly entertained my daughter’s countless questions about law enforcement.

It’s exciting to have a purpose for my writing. This is something I struggle with many days. Finding a real purpose. However, if I just imagine that one day my great grandchildren will be sitting somewhere reading a slice of my history and how fascinated they may be then, perhaps, THAT is my purpose.


Jowan Nabha is an accountant turned teacher. She is currently studying Early Childhood Education at the University of Michigan - Dearborn. She’s married and has three daughters to whom she devotes all her time to. Jowan can be reached at jnabha@umich.edu or follow her on Twitter @jowan_nabha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.