Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Embracing My Authentic Voice by LaQueshia Jeffries


I’ve finally ditched the professor-speak and learned to write in my authentic voice!


For a really long time, I thought I had to write in a certain way to be heard.


I thought no one really listens to someone who doesn’t proport themselves as an expert.


Some of this was probably a holdover from all those AP English classes in high school and graduate courses in university.


And I think another large part of it was a deep insecurity I felt about my qualifications to write on my experiences and knowledge in the field of education.


It seemed as though everyone else was more qualified than me, or had more years of service, or knew more jargon.


And I’m not quite sure when the transformation occurred. It may have been when I started saying positive affirmations in the morning. Or writing gratitude lists in my journal.


But I suddenly realized I didn’t care.


I no longer cared about what people thought, or if I was perceived as too young, or if people wondered why I should be able to share my piece and perspective.


What had started as a small defiance has morphed into a personal mission statement of sorts.


I belong here. I belong in education, and I have valuable knowledge to contribute.


Not only that, but I can share my knowledge in the written “speech patterns” and mannerisms that are most comfortable to me.


Now, the writing on my blog flows more freely. And I’m able to share across my social media platforms with ease.


I am comfortable in the knowledge that I will reach the audiences that will most benefit from what I have to share, and it is a disservice NOT to share abundantly.


This new perspective has given me a level of freedom in my writing and teaching practice that I have never felt before.


I’ve been able to write and then teach a program on creating calm classrooms, over the last few months I’ve written and submitted dozens of proposals to present (and three have been accepted so far!), and I’ve started to write a book I’ve been thinking about for years!


I no longer have to prove myself and worth to colleagues or industry thought leaders. I simply have to show up and continually strive to work as my best self for my peers, students, and families.


That’s it.


So, here’s a toast to freedom.  Freedom from the tyranny of expectations and the hopes of belonging.


I am here. And I belong.



LaQueshia Jeffries, MS.Ed is a Special Educator and Behavior Intervention teacher with a passion for helping teachers create calm, inclusive, and affirming classroom communities for all learners. She currently teaches and resides in northern Virginia with her husband, 4 boys, granny, and husky. You can visit her website http://www.laqueshiajeffries.com or connect on social media at http://www.facebook.com/MsJeffriesDesk and on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. It reflects the exact self-talk I have going on. I have moments of doubt and insecurity and have come to embrace them as part of the process. Writing "I am here. And I belong." is an affirmation we all need to write down in our notebooks and hold on to. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post ROCKS! Your voice is so strong and so authentic! I felt like applauding as I got to the end. This line is my favorite, "What had started as a small defiance has morphed into a personal mission statement of sorts." I can relate. Discovering the power of your voice is life-changing! (I'm in Northern VA too. We are practically neighbors!) Thank you for writing this!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.