Thursday, June 14, 2018

The Teacher Who Wants To Be More by Alexis Ennis


This summer is a summer for more. More reading. More family time. More adventure. More writing. Admittedly, I am not a writer. I take that back. I am a writer, but I do not consider myself a writer. How can I say this about myself when I demand my students to consider themselves writers? It all comes down to me being unsure of myself and my abilities. I am self-conscious.

This is a summer for more. So, I will be more confident...as a writer.

Confidence-Boosting Goals:

1-Create a writing journal
2- Find a focus
3-Start a story
4-Post daily on my blog
5-Connect with other writers

What Will Summer Writing Look Like?
My journey through summer writing is ambitious. It begins with daily free writing and ends with my confidence soaring and feeling successful.

But, let’s also be realistic. Here is what I think will happen:
Daily Freewrite
Over
     And over
And over
And over
And over
Again

Until I decide
A focus
And I sort
Through the mess
Find a story
Piece something together
And
       Publish to my blog

Without sending to others
For review
Without multiple revisions
Growing impatient
Anxiously waiting
For someone to criticize.

Worries

As with any new undertaking that requires one to step outside of their comfort zone, I have some worries.
-I won’t have someone to review my material.
-I will have someone review my material who then proceeds to Tear. It. Apart.

How Do I overcome these worries?

I find trustworthy and helpful reviewers.
I embrace a growth mindset.
I find success in each milestone.

Why do I need to do all of this?
I need to be a writer.
I feel the need.
I want to be confident as a writer.
I want to teach my students to be confident writers.
I want to understand my students more.

This is a summer for more. I will be more confident. I will write more.

How will you be more?


Alexis Ennis is a 6th grade ELA teacher. You can follow her on Twitter @Mrs_Ennis_OMS, on Instagram @mrs_bookdragon, or at her blog www.mrsbookdragon.com.

Write for Us!
The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing.  We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here

4 comments:

  1. I have another suggestion -- just do it. Just hit publish and put your words out there. That's what's important. You don't need other's approval to be a writer. You ARE a writer, Alexis. Remember, 'done' is more important than 'perfect.' Your confidence will come in time. Keep being brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Wonderful words of advice! I found the 100 Days of Summer Writing this year and have decided to post all parts of that writing on my blog. The crazy brainstorms. The rough rough drafts. I am growing confidence and am enjoying it. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I was reading last week that Pernille Ripp's blog posts are first drafts. I was quite surprised by that. That reaffirmed for me that are writing doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be written. I hope that this summertime writing will give you confidence, and in that, you find joy. Thank you for sharing your summer writing life and your notebook with us this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I did not know that! Thank you for your comment and feedback.

      Delete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.