Friday, June 1, 2018

The Long and Low Days of Summer Writing by Jennifer Laffin

Welcome to June!

Did you hear the sigh of relief as you flipped the calendar page this morning?

I love summer days.

Summer days have a different feel to them than the days of the rest of the year.

Summer days are horizontal -- long and low. Time stretches out and I give my energy level permission to match it.

Days of the other season are more vertical -- my energy climbs high quickly, but the time is short. There is so much to do. I go through the day checking items off my To Do List.

Check.
Check.
Check.

In summer, there are items on my To Do List, but they don't get checked off in a day. Their due date is September 1st.

Summer writing is more about building up a habit, with less of a focus on actually finishing a project.

We want our writing to be focused more on ourselves, and not something else like lesson plans, IEP forms, or meeting notes.

Writing that makes us happy.
Writing that makes us feel fulfilled.
Writing that makes us writers.

I've always wanted to write a book and this summer, that is where I will be focusing my writing attention.

I plan to write long and low, to dig deep into my heart as I put the words on the page.

That's what summer writing is all about.


Jennifer Laffin is a teacher of teachers, the owner of Teach Write LLC, and a co-moderator of the #TeachWrite Twitter Chat. She is committed to helping teachers and their students grow as writers because she has seen how writing can transform you both personally and professionally. You can find her learning with others on Twitter at @laffinteach and @TeachWriteEDU or at www.teachwrite.org.


3 comments:

  1. "Summer days are horizontal..." BRILLIANCE! I love this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I found your blog. Excited to read more.

      Delete
  2. Intent Sports resistance bands are a "must have" for your gym bag no matter where you are in your fitness journey. Use it for Pull Ups, assisted ring dips, assited muscle ups, push up resistance and mobilty stretching assistance.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.