Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Spreading My Writing Wings by Jowan Nabha


Photography has been a hobby of mine for most of my life. My pictures are for my personal pleasure, but I put a lot of passion and creative energy into them. It’s one of my favorite things to do.

Recently, I decided to spread my wings and take that creative energy and put it on paper. After taking a children’s literature course at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, I fell in love with writing. I’m indeed an amateur writer and so my main goal this summer is to increase the amount of time I spend on my personal writing.

I was spending about an hour a day writing for academic purposes: papers, discussion boards, etc. I had no time (or so I thought) to write for personal purposes. Now, I find myself spending about 10-15 minutes a day to write for personal use. My goal this summer is to increase this time to one hour a day.

Writing is a different kind of art and takes a certain type of person to grab your reader's attention. Once you have been successful in reaching your audience, the key is keeping their interest alive. This is still a work in progress. Opportunities to write for a blog such as this have allowed me to develop my skill.

I was encouraged by my former college professor and dear friend to take up writing a young adult fiction novel that resonates with the Arab American community. As a passionate Arab American, I fell in love with this idea and has motivated me to take a leap of faith in my writing.

I know that writing children’s literature is far more difficult than I can ever entail. However, I hope my summer days in the largest Arab American community in the country will help spark my creative juices. My same college professor gave me some very solid advice, “Just keep writing, even when you want to quit.” Her words have not left my mind, and I hope one day my words will touch someone as much as her words have inspired me.


Jowan Nabha is a former accountant turned teacher. She is currently studying Early Childhood Education at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. When she isn’t studying, she’s a busy wife and mother of three beautiful girls. She loves sports and loves to travel. She also loves the lake, long car rides, and spends most of her days enjoying the simple life with her family and capturing those moments. 

Write for Us!
The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing.  We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.