Monday, May 21, 2018

What I See Deep Inside by Erin Denny


My life as a (gulp) writer has changed recently.

I finally decided to start characterizing myself in the ways that I see me deep inside. You know, those profound places in which others aren’t allowed.

I’ve whispered some of my dreams to a select few over the past the years, but I’ve never actually owned that part of my life. 

I’m an extremist: food really sweet or salty, classroom icy cold. I guess I was worried about being one of those people who never went anywhere with their dreams, like if I didn’t become published then none of my writing mattered.

But, lately, I’ve noticed, as I’m finally accepting my empty nest (a whole other story), that I want to be a person that I’m proud of.

When my kids were little, it was all about wanting to be someone they were proud of. I still want that, of course, but now I’m beginning to look at how I see myself: what makes me think ‘that was a good day’ as I lay my head down at night.

One thing I desire is to be a person who lives out who I am inside.  Inside of me is a writer who has many stories to tell, a writer that has been caged up for far too long.

I’m proud of the "me" that’s a teacher and a mom, but I’m more than ‘Erin the Teacher’ or ‘Erin the Mom,’ right? I also love music, creating in all different ways, talking with people, traveling, reading, playing with my cats, and WRITING. 

As I’ve embraced “Erin the Writer,” I noticed others have too.

Who am I going to be at the end of my life?

I have no idea, but I like the direction I’m headed.




Erin Denny teaches 4th grade ELAR in a North Texas school district. She just received her master’s degree in education and is working towards a Master Reading Certificate. She hastwo beautiful and amazing children, one a musician and the other a writer. She loves being a mom, a teacher, and learning. You can follow her on Twitter at @MzDenne.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.