Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Try, Rinse, Repeat by Melissa-Ann Pero


I’ve been teaching writing to high school seniors for 17 years.  I notice that every year I have to review the basics, and that’s to be expected.  But I began to notice that my students wanted their writing to be completed not only quickly, but in no great length and with little substance. And so I noticed I needed to change how I taught writing.

Classroom writing assignments used to have minimum page numbers, and students would have the opportunity to correct only grammar mistakes to earn back points. But as digital submissions have become the norm and the technology for commenting and revision has exploded, my teaching style has embraced these advanced, and my students are reaping the rewards.

Now every classroom writing assignment must follow three simple rules. Try. Rinse. Repeat. (#tryrinserepeat)
 
I ask students to write. I ask them to revise. I ask them to write again. Writing assignments now contain content expectations only, allowing students to concentrate on what they want and need to say instead of counting pages or word counts. In addition, using Google Docs allows me and their peers to leave clear comments and questions for students to consider.

So I’ve noticed my students are submitting writing that has more meaning than filler. I’ve noticed that students ask when a paper will be returned because they are eager to make revisions. I’ve noticed my students are revising their work after considering comments and questions. I’ve noticed that my students’ ability to communicate through writing is improving.

And more importantly, so have they.

 

Melissa-Ann Pero is a high school English teacher and yearbook advisor currently working on her Doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction. She has been a presentor at various district, area, and state conferences in Pennsylvania. She is a Google Level 1 Educator, an Apple Certified Teacher, a Keystone Technology Innovator, and a bit of an edtech junkie.  She’s always looking grow her PLN so please follow her on Twitter @bshsmspero

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.