Thursday, May 10, 2018

How Changing What I Noticed Transformed My Teaching by Dana Clark

I’ve never been a “red penner.” 

Maybe because I innately knew that bright red slashes across a child’s work would cause more harm than good.  Maybe because somewhere deep inside I was still suffering from the harm it did to my young writer’s soul.  However, even without the red pen in hand, in the early years of my teaching, my eyes would autocorrect student writing as I read, and I saw all that wasn’t there. 

Viewing a writer’s work through deficit lenses limited my ability to provide strong feedback, and more importantly, my belief in what my students could do.  It was not until I changed the way I looked at writing, noticing all that was there on the page, that I was able to become a true mentor. 
Changing my view took time and practice, but it was well worth the work. 

If you are looking for ways to help you on this journey, here are some steps that may put you on the right path…

1.  Play “Ten Things I Love About You”-  Each time you bring home a piece of student writing, read the work until you are able to name five to ten specific things that the child has done well or is attempting to try out.

2.  Read student work through different lenses-  When I walk through an art gallery, I often find myself appreciating different aspects of the artists’ work: the use of color, the choice of medium, the way little images are hidden like little treasures for me to find.  Looking through lenses can help us to see all the beauty in a piece of art, or in a piece of writing.  Looking at writing by using the qualities of good writing as your lenses can help you see all your kids can do!  *Quick tip-  I usually look through the conventions lens last so that I can really focus on the message that the child intended to send with their piece.

3. Ask the student - At the start of a writing conference, ask the child to share something he or she has tried out or is particularly proud of.  Listening to a child talk about all the energy and heart that they have put forward can inspire us to see the beauty too.

Changing what I noticed meant I had to train my brain to look at writing differently.  Today, I feel like noticing through positive lenses has completely changed me as a writing teacher, and has also given me the best gift of all; the belief that my kids can do amazing things.  Because when we believe that they can, they do.


(This post was inspired by Katherine Bomer, who helped me to see the “hidden gems” in all my students’ work.)

Dana Clark is a literacy coach by day, devoted mom by night, and reader in any spare minute she can find.   You can find her on Twitter @dana_dclark or follow her blog http://litlife.blog.

2 comments:

  1. Your post reminds me so much of Patty McGee's work. Have you read 'Feedback That Moves Writers Forward'? Seeing past the errors in student writing is so hard, but it is a practice that gets easier the more we do it. Finding the strengths first makes assessing writing so much more fun -- for both the teacher and the student-writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Patty! Yes, I follow her work and have multiple copies of that book so I can share it as often as possible.

      Delete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.