Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Sharing Poetry with a Larger Audience by Emily Zuccaro


In my teaching, I work with preservice elementary teachers in a writing methods university course. I believe that teachers who write are powerful writing teachers and I ask my students to complete writing engagements as we learn about the craft of teaching writing.

I believe they are writers from day one, but unfortunately, many students feel self-conscious or inexperienced about personal and meaningful writing. But as a result of our writing engagements, many of my students see themselves more and more as writers and therefore believe they are capable of teaching writing.

One of the engagements we complete is George Ella Lyon’s “Where I’m From” poem. We listen to her read her poem and discuss what we see she’s done in her writing. Our class has time to brainstorm before I ask them to complete their own poem. I believe sharing these poems with a larger audience will show my students how powerful their ideas and words are, and that they are writers in a writing community. I hope you enjoy their poems the way I have enjoyed working with them this semester.

Emily Zuccaro













6 comments:

  1. Have I ever told you how much I admire the work you are doing with your pre-service teachers to help them see the value in teaching writing? You are awesome! I'm so glad you came up with the idea to share their writing here. Thank you, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jennifer! I really love working with teachers. Thank you for giving us a place to share!

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful work for sure. I agree with Jennifer. I would like to share this work with the literacy teachers I am presenting to next week. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carol! I'd love to hear how your presentation went. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Emily -- What I would have given to have a pre-service teacher as inspiring as yourself. The experiences, opportunities, and support you are gifting to your students make them gifts to all of us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I think back on my undergraduate days, (which was only 14 years ago) I did not even have a writing methods class. And honestly, I never even thought about needing it. Your students are lucky to have this experience that you are providing! I salute you, Emily, as you place importance on learning writing craft and as you have your students write themselves.

    To your students - hooray for you for being brave enough to share your words with this audience. That is not always an easy thing to do. I hope you realize how lucky you are to have a class that embraces authentic writing instruction. I hope that you continue to write even after this class. Those who write make the best writing teachers!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.