Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Immersion Through Poetry by Andy Schoenborn


A few years ago I was searching for a way to immerse students into English Language Arts from the moment they entered the classroom on day one - a task not easy to do with seniors.  Most times they would slouch into their seats and wait for the monotonous drill of reading syllabus, sharing the classroom expectations, and grading policies.  I was as bored as they were slogging through the protocol. 

I questioned why I felt the need to begin an exciting course by boring students to death. 

My reasoning, of course, was simple - it was a necessity.  Still, there was this nagging feeling that more could be done.

Not one to wait for the next trimester to experiment, I made my move the next class period. 

As students entered the class, I welcomed them as usual with a handshake as I introduced myself as Andy.  When they were all seated I shut the door without saying a word, turned the lights off, turned the projector on, adjusted the volume and played Shane Koyczan’s poem, “Remember How We Forgot.”

The haunting violin accompaniment and rich words resonated with students who were beginning to look back at what they want to remember as their public school experiences came to an end.  As Koyczan’s word fade, silence filled the room. 

“Wasn’t that great?,” I said and encouraged them to snap along with me, “Come on, folks, you can do it.  Honor the words.  Honor the experience.  It will feel strange at first, but soon it will feel strange not to snap your appreciation.”  They snapped along and we chatted about the power of words.

When someone tells me they don’t like poetry, I don’t believe them.  I ask, “Do you like music?”  Invariably, they do.  I ask, “Do you like the lyrics?”  They do.  “Then,” I say, “you like poetry, you just don’t realize it.”

For some reason, many people associate poetry as some inaccessible and lofty art form that either you are gifted with or you are not. 

As a writer, I know there is play involved and I find ways to incorporate poetry as creative writing into my classroom as often as I encourage independent choice reading.  To appreciate either reading or writing low-stake entry points are a must. 

To that end, we recite poems daily and explore opportunities to write as poets. 

Words bring us together.  Words help us to see we are not alone.  Words empower us to explore the observations we make in the world. 

Poetry is a way to immerse students in language while they learn about themselves and others.


Andy Schoenborn is a high school English teacher in Michigan at Mt. Pleasant Public Schools.  He focuses his work on progressive literacy methods including student-centered critical thinking, digital collaboration, and professional development.  As a past-president of the Michigan Council of Teachers of English and National Writing Project teacher consultant for Central Michigan University’s Chippewa River Writing Project he frequently conducts workshops related to literacy and technology.  Read his thoughts on literacy in the elafieldbook.wordpress.com and follow him on Twitter @aschoenborn.  View his students’ poetry on livewrite.edublogs.org.


3 comments:

  1. Great post, Andy. When someone tells me they don't like poetry, I just tell them they haven't discovered poetry they DO like yet. Shane Koyczan is incredible, but he's very different from Billy Collins who's very different from Jane Yolen who's very different from Robert Frost. There are as many different types of poetry as there are foods...so try just a little bite here and there and see what suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lucky students you have, Andy! A brilliant idea to hook them from day one. And I love the idea of presenting not just different voices, but various media -- you reading, them reading, listening to audio, or watching video. Perfect. I start on day one, as well, here in Kindergarten, and it's just how we roll in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you and Christie, I make poetry a big part of my classroom. I think poetry is a way to challenge students beyond the essay, to express themselves about things that they care about. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.