Thursday, March 1, 2018

Writers Need Community by Michelle Haseltine


Community gives me a place to belong. It’s where I feel comfortable to be myself and take risks and make mistakes. As a writer, a strong community strengthens my resolve and makes me better. On the days when I feel like giving up, my community is there to nudge me along with encouragement. On the days when I find success, they cheer me on and lift me up. Writing is a solitary act until you find your community.


For the longest time, I resisted community. I kept my writing secret and didn’t share it with many people. Somehow, it felt safer. I remember the first community I ever felt comfortable sharing my writing...my writing group at the Northern Virginia Writing Project. While I was part of the summer institute we all participated in writing groups that met every other day. I was scared. At first, I didn’t trust them. As I look back, I realize that I held them at arm’s length only sharing writing that I’d already shared. Their reactions were genuine, helpful and encouraging.  Soon they earned my trust and I dove in head first. That’s when things changed.


I will never forget the first time I received effective and powerful feedback from that group. There was a piece that I wanted to publish in our anthology, so it had to be good. My friend, Christine, worked together with me and shared her brilliant revision and editing suggestions. She listened. She heard what I was trying to write and she was able to help me find my way there. If I am a good writer today, I credit so much of that to Christine and her guidance. She gave me the confidence to stretch and grow as a writer.


Writing is solitary. Yes, that’s true. Writers must find their own voice in the silence. Writers must develop their own identity and as we say in my class, “writers are the boss of their own writing”. I believe writers and their writing grow stronger in a community. Writers flourish with the nourishment of their soul and that’s something only other writers can do for them.


Today, my communities include the NVWP, our TeachWrite Tribe, and my student writers. Each of these communities has helped me grow as a writer.

Michelle Haseltine spends her days with middle schoolers in Loudoun County, VA. Together they write, read, think, and create every single day. Michelle is a co-facilitator of our #TeachWrite twitter chat and a Teacher Consultant with the Northern Virginia Writing Project. She owns Selah Writing and blogs regularly at One Grateful Teacher and Your Story Matters. Michelle tweets regularly at @Mhaseltine and instagrams at @Mhaselti

4 comments:

  1. "Writers must find their own voice in the silence."

    Yep.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that these lines should be lifted and tweeted out: "Writing is solitary. Yes, that’s true. Writers must find their own voice in the silence."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met with my critique group just this morning. The woman across the table from me was new and obviously nervous. At the end of the meeting, she looked at me and said: "I was so afraid to come and share, but this was the best thing ever!"
    Score another point for Community!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to be a part of your writing community. My students have taught me a great deal about writing in community. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.