Wednesday, March 7, 2018

E.N.J.O.Y. Writing: Create to Motivate by Jen Greene


Motivation is a challenge.  If you’re like me, you think of a million other things to avoid the task at hand.  The simple reminder to enjoy writing motivates me; perhaps you’ll find it helpful too.

E-  Environment.  Create an environment where ideas feel safe to emerge. My environment includes a hot beverage, fancy pens, and a good notebook. It ranges from a table tucked away in the corner of Starbucks to a park or beach. When your mind is calm and peaceful, inspiration follows.

N- Notebooks.  Never underestimate the motivational powers of a blank notebook begging to be filled! I have notebooks for specific types of writing. Looking back through past entries serves as motivation.
J- Just write.  If I don’t have a specific assignment, I just write.  I let a stream of consciousness move the pen across my paper. It isn’t always profound thoughts. It might start out as a grocery list.  I can always go back and cross out.  I can always go back and add more.  But I cannot do anything to a blank page.  Don’t overthink- just write.

O- One Little Word.  This is a great source of inspiration.  It might be the word of the day suggested by #DWHabit.  Maybe it’s a random one that pops into your head. Go with it and see where it takes you.

Y- Yoda, find yours you must.  If you are stuck in a rut, find your “Yoda-vation”.  He might be a friend, family member, a pet.  Maybe Yoda is your critique group, a blog you follow, a Twitter chat.  My Yoda is often my students.  They motivate me because they constantly want to see my writing.  I can’t very well tell them I’m not writing anything, I’d better have something to share!

ENJOY writing!


Jen Greene is an elementary school teacher in the West Chester Area School District in West Chester, PA.  She is a fellow with the PA Writing and Literature Project (PAWLP) and a doctoral student at Widener University.  You can find her on Twitter @GreeneMachine82 or at a corner table at Starbucks. She’ll be the one with the fancy pens and stack of notebooks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.