Monday, February 12, 2018

Writing Heals by Sarah J. Donovan


“im sorry your mom wasn’t their for you…”

This was blog comment on my poem left from a seventh-grade boy who frankly gave me a pretty hard time last year. It was my tenth poem of the month (a third of the way into our thirty poem challenge), and Jesus chose my poem to read that April morning. He was enticed by the title, I guess: “Confession: I Am an Orphan”. 

When I noticed Jesus was reading my poem, I knelt beside his desk and asked him if he knew what an orphan was.  He said he knew but was confused because my mother was still alive. We talked about how my father had died, and my mother broke-up with me, in part, because of that. He wasn’t sure what to say in that moment, so he wrote a comment on my poem instead. I was moved by his compassion. I was moved so much that I wrote a lot of poems that month about my family and growing up the ninth of eleven children.

When our thirty days of poem-ing came to an end, I began to feel what I can only describe as withdrawal. The daily engagement with words and lives in the virtual space of our class blog and the physical space of sharing them in class nurtured me psychologically and kinesthetically. The mental and physical work of creating poems impacted my well-being. So when I felt that withdrawal, I looked for ways to re-engage with poetry beyond the classroom and discovered that within my collection of poems rested pieces of a story. I decided I would write a verse novel that summer, imagining and reshaping my past into fiction.

When one makes a decision, a commitment, the world seems to respond in rather beautiful ways, and, for me, it was in the form of people:  Gae Polisner read the first pages of my book and, encouraged me. My husband, who is not a reader, began to read my book -- the first book he’d read since high school -- and we had lovely dinners discussing the kissing scenes. I shared the book with four of my seven sisters, and we Skyped to discuss the characters and how they helped us make sense of our own childhood. I began to really experience the way writing heals the writer and, in some cases, the reader. Such a privilege and responsibility to create.


Sarah J. Donovan is a junior high ELA teacher and adjunct professor in teacher education at DePaul University. She is the author of  Genocide Literature in Middle and Secondary Classrooms and a young adult novel, Alone Together. She writes a weekly blog, www.ethicalela.com, where she shares stories about the ethics of teaching English and some YA book reviews. Follow Sarah on Twitter @MrsSJDonovan, Instagram @donovan_sd, and Facebook. 


Write for Us!
The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing.  We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here

4 comments:

  1. The healing of writing seems to be a theme for me this year. Thanks for sharing your journey. I am amazed at how my students inspire me to write. I look forward to reading your book. I am also working on a verse novel about an experience with my friend having cancer. Gae was one of my first supporters in her Friday Feedback a few years ago. I have fictionalized it as well. Would love to talk with you sometime about this process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,

    WoW!

    Sorry about your mama not being in your life. You may be an orphan but you chose to be brave and thrive. Bravo.

    Your teaching & poem has transformed lives already.

    I am looking forward to read your free verse poem / memoir book.

    Happy writing.

    Purviben
    @TrivediZiemba
    http://trivediziemba.edublogs.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sensitive piece of writing-this line stands out to me: When one makes a decision, a commitment, the world seems to respond in rather beautiful ways, and, for me, it was in the form of people. People are wonderful support so it is fortunate that your story was supported by outsiders.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.