Friday, February 16, 2018

What's In Your Little Black Book?: Collecting Inspiration to Write by Jacie Maslyk

The Little Black Book was the name of a 2004 romantic comedy.  It’s also known as the place to write the addresses and phone numbers of your past girlfriends or boyfriends. 

My little black book is the place where I collect all of my writing ideas.  I jot down curious quotes or phrases that strike me.  Sometimes I write a word or two and other times I fill pages.  My notebook is a collection of ideas that I revisit and tinker with.  Often times, it serves as a place of reflection and rejuvenation, while other times it is a stumbling block.   
I carry my book with me most places that I go.  You never know when you get hit with an idea!  I’ve been known to write things down when I’m sitting in traffic or in a meeting.  My notebook helps me to capture new ideas.  It gives me inspiration for new blog posts or topics for articles.  The book is a compilation of bulleted lists, sketchnotes, and paragraphs.  It serves as a reminder that I have set goals to write regularly, for myself and for others. 
   
My little black book is a way for me to collect my inspirations in one place. I guess I’m old-fashioned in the way that I write everything down on paper, but it keeps me on track with all of the ideas in my head.  It allows me to organize and categorize my wonderings and consider the pathways to extend these thoughts.  Some ideas stay in my book, while others turn into blogs posts, educational articles, or even a proposal for a new book.  Any journal or notebook will do, but find a place to collect your ideas to inspire your writing.

Jacie Maslyk is the author of STEAM Makers: Fostering Creativity and Innovation in the Elementary Classroom.  She blogs at Creativity in the Making at https://jaciemaslyk.blogspot.com/ and has been a guest blogger for Corwin Connect and ILA’s Literacy Daily.  Her website www.steam-makers.com houses a variety or resources for educators.  Jacie hosts a monthly Twitter chat called #STEAMMakerChat.  Follow her on Twitter @DrJacieMaslyk

Write for Us!
The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing.  We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.