Tuesday, February 27, 2018

I Am Writing by Mark Levine


Writing is hard.

I have wanted to be a writer since I was in the 7th grade.  I wanted to write about the teen experience through my eyes.  There was one main thing standing in my way: Writing is hard. 

Writing takes commitment.  Writing takes time.  To write, writing must become a priority in life.

Through the years, I have collected many starts to novels. In fact, one can track my writing journey through the subject matter of my writing, and of course, the quality. Many years later, I am still starting novels.  The difference is that I now have intention and a voice.  I am much better read and prepared.  The problem, as of late, has been my self-confidence.

Writing takes practice.  As a teacher of writing, I have been able to live this idea.  I have watched students grow as writers.  I have seen students go from incapable to amazing.  Yes- I have learned from my students.

A few years ago, I got an idea for a professional book for teachers.  Again, I started it and stopped.  Restarted and stopped. An editor at a large publisher liked the idea a lot, but my voice was missing. Actually, my voice was not yet developed. Working on my voice became my priority.

Over winter break this past year, I was frustrated with myself. While frustrated, it was time to choose my One Little Word.  My word was obvious: Persist.  If I was going to write, really write, I was going to need to push through my self-talk and make writing a priority.  I was going to create a writing habit. 

In this habit, I write daily.  I write a brief piece for a blog each day.  I write articles for a major online literacy site weekly. And, I write for my real book project.  I am writing between 2-5 hours a day.

Now I am not just a writer. 

I am writing.


Mark Levine is a middle school teacher in the Chicago suburbs. He teaches literacy-based social studies.  He is also a writer, a presenter, and an avid chatter on Twitter. Follow him @LevineWrites or at his blog http://mindfulliteracy.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.