Friday, February 2, 2018

Falling In Love with Poetry Friday by Margaret Simon

Sustaining a writing life is both a struggle and a pleasure. I struggle to keep ideas flowing and to stay motivated.  I found a community that helps with both--Poetry Friday.
Poetry Friday is a weekly blogging community specifically designed around teaching, writing, and sharing children’s poetry. Renée LaTulippe wrote a blog post in 2015 that answers many questions you may have about Poetry Friday.

I’ve been posting and linking up to Poetry Friday for around 5 years. When I was new to the blogging scene, fellow teacher/blogger Linda Baie took me under her wing.  She commented regularly and led me to the Poetry Friday community.  “You like to write poetry, so you might enjoy linking up with Poetry Friday.”  One of the best gifts ever.  I found my tribe, so to speak.  Writing and linking up each week not only encouraged me as a teacher/writer, I also made new friends, friends whom I now work with in a writing group or in presentations at NCTE.

There are three main reasons Poetry Friday sustains me as a teacher/writer:

1.  A community of writers:  Writing is usually a solo activity.  Finding your tribe is important to sustaining your life as a writer.  Connecting with other poets and teachers of poetry has enriched my life in many ways. I’ve grown a writing group and have poets I can turn to for honest critique. At conferences like NCTE, I’ve met them face to face, raised a glass of wine, and celebrated friendship.  This community, in particular, is full of kind and generous people who communicate to make you feel welcomed and loved.

2.  Feedback: Comments sustain me.  Receiving a comment like this recent one from Ramona Behnke pushes me to be the best poet and the best teacher of poetry that I can be: “I love your “Popcorn Poetry” especially the phrase “magical words wander.” Your wand extended to the students in front of you. They wrote beautiful poems.”

3.  My teaching is enriched: Exploring posts on Poetry Friday leads me down different paths from writing my own poems to teaching a form to students.  Last week, I read a post by Irene Latham and used the prompt that day with my students.  I sent her a link to my students’ poems, and she kindly responded to each one.  Being able to reach out and touch a poet on any given Friday is a gift to my students.

In order to sustain a writing life, I need to be in close contact with other writers.  Finding groups of writers that feed my writing spirit is important and inspiring.  If you are looking for more poetry in your life whether to read and appreciate or to write and teach,  turn to Poetry Friday.  You can find the line-up of hosts listed here.

Find this week’s Poetry Friday posts with Donna Smith at Mainly Write.

Be a brave writer; Jump into Poetry Friday.  I promise we will welcome you with open arms!


Margaret Simon is a teacher-writer who lives on the Bayou Teche in New Iberia, LA.  She teaches gifted elementary students in Iberia Parish. With a Master's degree in gifted and National Boards in early childhood literacy, she offers her love of reading and writing to her students.  She writes about her teaching and shares her poetry at reflectionsontheteche.com. Margaret tweets @MargaretGSimon. You can also connect with her on Facebook at Margaret Gibson Simon.



Write for Us!
The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing.  We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found at https://teachwritechat.blogspot.com/p/write-for-us.html.

6 comments:

  1. From the other side of the globe, I too love the Poetry Friday community. (I sure would love to get some more Aussie educators on board, too. I try!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Margaret! Nice to read you as a guest blogger here! You are so right - it is like finding your "tribe"! Kind of a "scribe tribe", lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes! I second everything you share about the Poetry Friday community. It is a welcoming, encouraging, nourishing community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poetry Friday is wonderful! I've not been participating nearly as long as you have, but it's made a huge difference in my writing life. Ditto to all the positives about this writing community. Love the term "scribe tribe", Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your post, Margaret. Your inviting welcome and examples of how the Poetry Friday community has enriched your life will certainly draw new friends in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have been part of the Poetry Friday community since 2011, I think - one of the best gifts in the kidlitosphere, truthfully.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.