Tuesday, January 23, 2018

The Courage to Tell Your Writing Truth by Andy Schoenborn


My goal for 2018 began on an October commute as I listened to a Heinemann podcast interview with Tom Newkirk discussing his book, Embarrassment.  His talk resonated with me as he opened up about “the emotions of shame, failure, frustration, disappointment, that we all feel as teachers, and all feel as learners,” he added that these feelings have always been a part of his teaching life, and something he really still has to deal with.  In other words, Tom lives with the anxieties all learners face when risking a move into new learning territories. 

Tom’s brave admission surprised me.  As a writer, I related well to this truth, but I imagined my teacher-mentors were lucky enough not experience the same emotions I have when sitting down to write.  Perhaps it should not have surprised me at all.  Every author I know, regardless of success, echoes this universal experience to some degree - the fear is real.  It just so happened that (embarrassment) was the gentle reminder I needed in my teacher-writer life to move me beyond my fear.

I wondered what I could do outside of the classroom to risk more.  With my students, I act as a guide, make my learning visible, and model the process of learning.  My students stretch themselves, reflect on past work, and reach for new growth opportunities. 

It is time for me to do the same.  
Encouraged by Tom, I sought more avenues to learn, grow, and share.  With my mind open to new possibilities and a Voices from the Middle call for manuscripts on the horizon, I decided to go for it.  

Then, true to form, anxiety and doubt began to creep into my mind. 

Writing a manuscript for the NCTE journal presented imagined barriers.  The realities of an audience of smart readers, co-editors I admired, the possibility of rejection, and perhaps acceptance caused my fingers to hover over the keyboard. 

I decided to practice what I teach and found a mentor text for inspiration.  Penny Kittle’s 2001 Voices from the Middle piece,“Writing Giants, Columbine, and the Queen of Route 16”, surprised me in the way Tom’s did and spurred on my confidence. 

Throughout her piece were moments in which she felt inadequate, frustrated, and unsure.  Early in her teaching career, Kittle noted “teaching writing was particularly difficult;” and went on to admit, “there was too much to grade, and I had nothing to say. I didn’t know where to start. I felt I didn’t know enough to lead 23 children with differing strengths and needs.”  Much like Tom’s admission, I was caught off guard to learn that Penny wrestled with similar feelings of a learner-in-progress. 

What a relief to know that, though my classroom struggles often feel isolated, they are indeed challenges we all face.  I felt encouraged as a teacher-writer.  And, in my experience, it is good to know you are not alone.

After submitting my manuscript, I chose to revisit Nancie Atwell’s groundbreaking work, In the Middle.  While reading her teaching story after so many years I was surprised yet again.  Nancie too struggled, had doubts, and resisted some of the same ideas that would bring her world recognition. 

My teacher-writer mentors convinced me that the first step toward a goal rests upon an unsure footing.  The difference is these mentors continue to make strides, however tremulous, by being open to new learning; reading voraciously; writing to learn, and sharing their work. 

Common among these mentors is the need continually improve so they can be of better support and service to their students. 

It is my goal, too.

In 2018 I will read more, write more, risk more, and share more. 

Along with my response to NCTE’s Voices from the Middle call for manuscripts, I have submitted proposals for presentations at the NCTE annual conference and the Michigan Reading Association conference.  I will reflect on my classroom practices on my blog the ELA Field Book and share my experiences on social media with interested audiences. 

Teachers are truly an amazing collection of people.  My personal learning network has supported me in ways I could not have imagined since joining twitter chats like #G2Great and #TeachWrite.  I have grown from a shy lurker to an active participant in the chats and what a difference it has made! 

At our best, teachers inspire, shape, and encourage growth among each of the lives we encounter. 

In our classrooms, we share our gifts and love with students.  Outside of our classrooms, we better our practices by looking to educational mentors. 

Overcoming anxieties and making it a goal to give back to the profession will make a mentor out of you. 

It’s not as scary as it sounds.

Your audience can’t wait to read what you write.


Andy Schoenborn is a high school English teacher in Michigan at Mt. Pleasant Public Schools.  He focuses his work on progressive literacy methods including student-centered critical thinking, digital collaboration, and professional development.  As a past-president of the Michigan Council of Teachers of English and National Writing Project teacher consultant for Central Michigan University’s Chippewa River Writing Project he frequently conducts workshops related to literacy and technology.  Read his thoughts on literacy in the elafieldbook.wordpress.com and follow him on Twitter @aschoenborn.
Write for Us!
The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing.  We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this statement, "Overcoming anxieties and making it a goal to give back to the profession will make a mentor out of you." When we face our fears and become vulnerable, we inspire others to do the same. Thanks for inspiring me today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing and sharing this great post, Andy. I admire your passion, conviction and bravery! You've made me consider how I can push myself just a bit more this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful piece on the bravery writing and learning requires! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.