Tuesday, December 19, 2017

The Seven Things I Believe About Writing by Jen Greene


1. I believe writing is cathartic.
As an adolescent, I always kept a journal, more so to write things that were important to me at the time.   Later, as an adult watching my father battle brain cancer for seven long years before losing the fight in 2016, writing became my sanity-saving grace.  I wrote down our happy memories, angry letters to the powers that be, all the feelings associated with parenting your parent, and a haunting account of watching those final breaths.  Writing served as a way to process my feelings and help me heal.  When my emotions are running high or low, I pick up a pen and get to work.

2. I believe everyone has a writer hiding inside, waiting for the right environment to come out and play.
The incomparable Donald Graves showed us that children WANT to write. We have a tremendous responsibility as educators, parents, and humans to create a safe space where writers can blossom.  That student in the second row, reluctant to raise her hand, might have a powerful voice waiting to be heard. The kid who seems to have it all together on the outside, might let his guard down on paper.  Providing the opportunity to develop a love of writing paves the way for students to experience a transformative form of communication. They might have something to say that they didn’t even know was inside them, waiting to come out.

3. I believe writing is an invitation to play with language and create lyrical jigsaw puzzles through experimentation and revision.
You can’t edit a blank page.  Take a risk and try out different sentence structures, vocabulary, and syntax.  Make mistakes.  If the piece doesn’t fit in one spot, move it somewhere else.   There are so many words just waiting to be used. So many forgotten words to bring out of retirement.  Nancy Drew doesn’t have to be the only girl solving mysteries in a modest frock and sensible shoes.  When searching for the perfect word to describe current political leaders, dust off snollygoster.  Amy Ludwig VanDerwater has a list of favorite words in her book Read, Read, Read!  What an excellent way to keep those hunky-dory words at the ready.  Language holds so many playful possibilities. 

4. I believe in the power of teachers as writers.
Mentor texts are crucial. They are amazing models for students. Yet, there is an underrated mentor text that sometimes gets forgotten: you, the teacher. You don’t have to be perfect. It’s okay to be afraid.  Dig deep and allow yourself to be vulnerable- your students will respond in ways you never imagined. They appreciate when teachers are honest and show how human they really are. 😊 How can you expect your class to develop their craft without you modeling the process a writer goes through? Share your writing; show your students your struggles and triumphs. I love to share my writing with my students and ask for suggestions. They provide great feedback (which shows they maybe are listening to those minilessons!). I truly believe that the best way to strengthen your community of writers is to be an active part of it.   

5. I believe writing should be used for good, not evil.
In this age of social media, where mean tweets and hateful comments dominate news coverage, we have a responsibility as writers to use our gift for the greater good. If positive thoughts and empathetic posts begin to dominate news feeds, maybe the cruel words will be buried under a pile of kindness.  I don’t believe the old adage that ‘sticks and stones may break our bones’, because words can hurt. A lot. They can deflate confidence, attack self-esteem, and reduce us to tears.  Our words should positively impact, heal, change, and comfort those who read them- especially if the readers are our students! 

6. I believe in writing at least a little bit every day.
Some days I might have a lot to say and fill page after page.  Others, I might lack motivation.  I try to write something- whether it’s a Tweet, an academic paper, or a grocery list- every day. When writing is a part of my daily routine, it makes it easier for me to have options to share with my students.   It also leads to honest conversations during conferences- “I understand your struggle with finding an idea, I’ve been there too.” 

7. I believe in always having a notebook and pen at the ready.
Ralph Fletcher, personal idol and inspirational spirit guide, often mentions the importance of carrying a notebook with him.  I love to sit and write in a bookstore or coffee shop and just observe. I never know when an idea will form, so it’s always best to be prepared. Some people might prefer to record ideas on their phone or laptop, but I’m a notebook kind of girl.  There is something so delightful about a new notebook with deliciously blank pages begging to be filled.  Throw in a rainbow of Staedtler TriplusⓇ Fineliner pens and I am a happy camper.  Add a cup of chai and forget about it- I’m staying put for a while. 



Jen Greene is an elementary school teacher in the West Chester Area School District in West Chester, PA.  She is a fellow with the PA Writing and Literature Project (PAWLP) and a doctoral student at Widener University.  When not teaching, reading, or writing, Jen enjoys ballet and tap dancing and taking photographs of her adorable Dalmatian, Murphy. You can find her on Twitter @GreeneMachine82. 


This month, the #TeachWrite Chat Blog will be sharing the Writing Manifestos of our community. What do you believe about being a writer?  Would you like your Writing Manifesto featured on this blog?  Are you interested in writing for us at another time? More information is available here.

1 comment:

  1. I, too,believe in all seven of these. Although I am not very good with the notebook thing! I consider myself a notebooker wannabe. Number four is what this community is all about - sharing the power of being a teacher who writes! Thank you for joining us this month and writing your manifesto.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the food that feeds a writer's soul. Please leave a few words for our guest bloggers to let them know you stopped by.

Write for Us!

The #TeachWrite Twitter Chat Blog is dedicated to providing a space for our community to connect and share their voices about writing and teaching writing. We are looking for guest bloggers who would like to blog on topics related to being a teacher-writer. Educators and writers of all levels are invited to join us in this space. More information can be found here.